• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Driver side door originality

Tequila

Hello,
Over the weekend I bought a driver side door from a guy who claimed it was an original one for $150. The door has no rust and is in good shape. How do I tell whether it is an aftermarket one or an original one? After I brought it home I couldn't see any Ford stampings or any identification upon close inspection. The textured finish on the interior door is not there and looks like they had previously painted it. Would it be possible to get the textured look back, if it turns out to be an original? Thanks.

Ruppstang

Is it bare steel? The texture is easily lost to too much paint or primer. If it is Ford there should be some date stamps on it.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Is it bare steel? The texture is easily lost to too much paint or primer. If it is Ford there should be some date stamps on it.
Thanks Marty.

I think they started with bare steel but did a bad job of recreating the texture.

Do you know if the date stamp will be on the interior of the panel? Also I thought the factory sprayed some sort of thick coating on the interior of the door. The doors I picked has no coating on the top and some very light coating on the bottom section.

Ruppstang

The texture was stamped in the steel but is not very deep so it is easily filled.
The date stamp would be on the interior.
Originally there was sound deadener on the inside of the outer skin.
Hope this helps.

dalorzo_f

A wire wheel will generally remove most build-up from the door and leave the grain.

I've found the date stamps on the center "webs" on the flat areas in front of the main opening, many very faint...

And '67 and '68 doors differ a little bit.

J_Speegle

If I recall correctly there are two date code. One for the shell and one for the inner surface.

Trying to keep my years straight without going to notes. Check behind the outer belt line seal and behind the door panel area

OP
OP
T

Tequila

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the info. Looks like I think I got taken for a ride this time. No date code visible from inside. Oh well... Live and learn.