• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Driving the wheels off!

hookedtrout

Well I've been enjoying the heck out of my CS driving it when ever I need to run an errand or get the itch. Having the shop makes it easy to access so I run out and take it as often as I can.

The new disc brakes are working fantastic, sure beats the old drums all to heck. The last few times I've returned to the shop I noticed a little steam under the hood so I've been watching the temps and checking for leaks, I see rad fluid along the ledge at the bottom of the radiator so I ordered a new 3 row and installed it tonight. Reason number XXX I don't want to go concours, original hose clamps suck compared to new stuff and I didn't have enough new clamps to change out all the hoses so I had to battle with the clamps that came with the kit and I assume they are meant to be or resemble original because they were a bugger.

Anyway got it in and took it for another spin, no issues now. I'll be spinning the tires and flipping gravel down the drive as often as I can this summer, good thing the rear quarters are already rock chipped beyond polishing out. ;-)

Midnight Special

...Right on Cory!! Driving these things is definitely where it's at!
Although go figure.... If I spin tires, my son TJ gives me "crap" ever since he learned to paint his car. In the long past - it was always my parents who gave me crap.... I can't win!, so I don't "spin" ;-)

GT/CS S Code

I know what you mean ...

Every time I spin the tires (just a little bit of course!) Laurie gives me hell for it.
:mad:
Of course it doesn't stop me from doing it ... and she just keeps giving me hell for doing it!
:grin:

Midnight Special

<song>

...the tach goes UP....the TIRES fryy....before you KNOW, we're in a poWER sliiide....
HITCHIN a RI'I'ide....hitchin a RIDE... spinnin' My S-CO'oode...'til the tank runs DRYYY!

RIDE...RIDE...ride........what a bitchIN' RIIDE!!!

68HCS289

I'm the same way since I got the HCS, I just wanna drive it or work on it every chance I get!!

Midnight Special

I'm the same way since I got the HCS, I just wanna drive it or work on it every chance I get!!

...To me, that's the real beauty of owning CSs (for today) over all vintage Mustangs including Shelbys. A factory-sanctioned and rare "looker" not over the top $$-wise that shares common replacement parts and options etc... At the same time, it commands as much respect and curiosity as the high-end Machs & Bosses that short of being trailered to shows, seldom see the light of day. I'm not saying they are on par, mind you..., but the intrigue shown by an un-familiar public when you drive yours will only lead to greater CS popularity and value down the road! I'm increasingly amazed at the number of younger people who know what these are today verses 10 years ago.

So what are the rest of you waiting for?
DRIVE!! ;-)

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

In light of the fact that I replaced the radiator and I am driving the crap out of it, what pressure radiator cap is my small block no AC radiator supposed to have, I know for sure the cap on it isn't the original or even the same as the original.

And what does the difference in pressure on the cap make aside from the obvious that it will pop earlier on the lower pressure cap? Say 7 lbs vs 13 lbs?

GT/CS S Code

<song>

...the tach goes UP....the TIRES fryy....before you KNOW, we're in a poWER sliiide....
HITCHIN a RI'I'ide....hitchin a RIDE... spinnin' My S-CO'oode...'til the tank runs DRYYY!

RIDE...RIDE...ride........what a bitchIN' RIIDE!!!

... and of course this would be sung to the tune of Bachman Turner Overdrive's "Let It Ride" ... right?
:grin:

747Driver

Cory:

I'm curious what disc brake setup you did? I'm planning to put discs on all four, and I'm scratching my head. I want to be able to run the original steel 14"s with original caps on occasion, but 17" Shelby 10 spokes with sticky tires for general use/fun. (I'm also shelving the stock suspension for an adjustable coilover setup). So far, SSBC seems to have the best brake options for both front and rear, but I know there are others...just curious what you did and how you like it. Thanks, Josh

747Driver

Cory:

I'm curious what disc brake setup you did? I'm planning to put discs on all four, and I'm scratching my head. I want to be able to run the original steel 14"s with original caps on occasion, but 17" Shelby 10 spokes with sticky tires for general use/fun. (I'm also shelving the stock suspension for an adjustable coilover setup). So far, SSBC seems to have the best brake options for both front and rear, but I know there are others...just curious what you did and how you like it. Thanks, Josh

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

Cory:

SSBC was my choice. Sounds like your headed the same direction I went. I'm happy so far.

Northern Pony

Tim;
Reading this thread and you hooked me, I'm guessing your tune is " Mustang Sally "
Ride Sally Ride.

BoB

747Driver

SSBC was my choice. Sounds like your headed the same direction I went. I'm happy so far.

Thanks Cory. Can I gratefully trouble you to pick your brain more? What coilover unit, subframe connectors, traction bars, ect..that you chose? When you have the time. You can either pm me or continue this thread. The example I'm deadset on duplicating is Chuck Young's '68 GT350...if you haven't seen it, it's very worth Googling...it's an inspiring work of art. Thanks, Josh

OP
OP
hookedtrout

hookedtrout

My car is all stock short of the actual SSBC brakes. I didn't do any other mods at this time, the brakes were expensive enough. Just wanted to get rid of the drum and get some reliable safe brakes under the front end.

Thanks for the tip on the google search, I looked it up and it is an awesome car and he sounds like my kind of guy. My favorite part of the article I read was this.

"I'm not at all sorry what I did," says Chuck. "I've gotten some criticism over it, but it's my money and my car. They're no fun if they are just sitting there, and this one is a hoot to drive now with the five-speed, different rearend, better power, and new suspension. I'm not afraid to take it any place." We think Chuck made the right call. Carroll and his crew built these cars a long time ago to be driven and driven hard, which is just what our man Chuck is doing today.

"It's hard for me to do anything concourse wise. I guess there's too much hotrodder in me." Sounds like a rebel with a cause if you ask us."

I'll bet they banned him from the Shelby club but I'll bet he's having way more fun out ripping up the pavement while the rest of the group is polishing and admiring their cars. Way to go Chuck!

robert campbell

Jason/Cory,
concourse!!! what the hell is that?

Mair Racing subframe connectors seem to be the best in most forums. Easy to install, but need a welder. Do not need to remove the carpet.
Shelby under ride traction bars on my Fastback. Work great and not as harsh a ride.

I like the Fatman front end coil over shocks system. They carry the weight of the car on the firewall and yet give enough clearance to modify the shock towers for more room. The Mustang II weld on system carries all the witght on the frame and this unit car was not designed to do that.

This is my kind of thread!!! These cars were meant to drive!!! And drive hard!!! And be put in a nice warm stall at night!!!

Rob