• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

eBay - J code with 428

68gt390

Would be interesting to find out if it is a true CS. Gives me some idea of what mine will look like when I'm done. Don't know if I'll use a Cobra air cleaner or not? I've ordered a new set of valve covers like those in this picture. Can't wait to get it done and back on the road.

Don

Mustanglvr

Midnight Special said:
...Look closely and you can see where the GT/CS striping has either painted over or removed.

I thought maybe they did that on purpose. It looks like a real light pinstriping. Maybe they did`nt want a stripe but did`nt want to rule it out completely.

Mosesatm

Rhonda, I think you are right about the pinstripes.

What is sticking out from under the sides of the car? I thought they were exhaust pipes at first but they are too small.

joedls

Mosesatm said:
What is sticking out from under the sides of the car? I thought they were exhaust pipes at first but they are too small.

I think those are traction bars. They look like the ones I installed in my convertible.

Attachments

• 81705 (10).JPG
    81705 (10).JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
case12

case12

I asked the seller and here is the response:

hello case12, thanks this is an awesome car.Unfortunatly I do not have a Marti report or a original bill of sale.I bought this car two years ago as a gt/cs as far as I'm concerned it is.If you want something truely authentic this is not the car for you as it does not have the correct steering wheel,paint job,wheels,pony logo on the grill, or even engine for that matter. This is a restored/modified custom 68 gt/cs.

I would agree with the seller that this is a custom car - which I really like - the custom part appeals to me. But I would want to know if it is a real GT/CS. I guess someone would need to do a fast turnaround Marti report to find out. Casey

68gt390

I sent an email through ebay several days ago to this seller and have yet to hear an answer. Since the conversion from "J" code to "R" code was not done by the present owner, I doubt if he knows what a Marti Report is? Or he's not interested in answering questions about the car. Either way, I wouldn't bid on it without the report. And you can bet his reserve is going to be high based on the conversion to an "R" code. I figure he's trying to get the same price you'd get for an original "R" code car. Not. That would be like me trying to sell my "S" code as a real "R" code once my conversion is done. :rolleyes:

Don

68gt390

case12 said:
I asked the seller and here is the response:

hello case12, thanks this is an awesome car.Unfortunatly I do not have a Marti report or a original bill of sale.I bought this car two years ago as a gt/cs as far as I'm concerned it is.If you want something truely authentic this is not the car for you as it does not have the correct steering wheel,paint job,wheels,pony logo on the grill, or even engine for that matter. This is a restored/modified custom 68 gt/cs.

I would agree with the seller that this is a custom car - which I really like - the custom part appeals to me. But I would want to know if it is a real GT/CS. I guess someone would need to do a fast turnaround Marti report to find out. Casey

I hate to say it but, just because he was dumb enough to buy it as a GT/CS without a Marti Report doesn't make it a true GT/CS. And to base your selling the car off it being what you bought it as is just plain stupid. If your going to sell the car as a modified/non authentic car than sell it as a "restomod" conversion. I've got some beach front property in the Sahara, maybe he'd be interested. That's my take on it. :nonono2:

Don

jk89cat

and being he didnt install the motor , we wouldnt know if its a real 428 until we were able to see the balancer and the rear block stamping ,the lf front , are all stamped 352!

68gt390

Keep in mind all your FE blocks use those stampings on the outside. Best way to tell is to measure bore or better yet, pull the center freeze plug and look for the 428 stamped in the water jacket area. It's possible to have a 390 with 428 heads etc. and think you've got a 428. One good reason not to rely just on casting #'s when checking FE blocks. Also, keep in mind your service blocks won't have casting #'s just date codes. That's another good reason to check inside the center freeze plug area.

Don

gt bandit

Texas Tea

68gt390 said:
I hate to say it but, just because he was dumb enough to buy it as a GT/CS without a Marti Report doesn't make it a true GT/CS. And to base your selling the car off it being what you bought it as is just plain stupid. If your going to sell the car as a modified/non authentic car than sell it as a "restomod" conversion. I've got some beach front property in the Sahara, maybe he'd be interested. That's my take on it. :nonono2:

Don

don ---- that property in the Sahara---- might be full of black gold (texas Tea).
lets hope this CS is also full of undiscovered goodness for the lucky purchaser.

jk89cat

don, i totally forgot about the inside block stamp, doh! i just remeber going to look at a engine that was for sale and the guy kept telling me oh its a 427 cid , well it turns out it was a 360 truck motor. he argued with me up and down till i showed him the rear block stamping and the front 352