• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Engine Reassembly Problems

dalorzo_f

As noted in the other post I am "refreshing" my 68 GT/CS.

The engine was not rebuilt, but will be removed, cleaned and painted. Most "easily" accessible gaskets and items were removed and cleaned as well. (valve covers, fuel pump, oil pressure sender tube, water pump, etc)

Went to put the water pump back on. The FelPro gasket for the "outer" (between the pump and the metal backing plate) was the wrong shape. Blocks two bolt holes. Anyone else seen this problem, wrong kit? Put sealant on the gasket and then when applying it to the pump noticed the mismatch...

The new harmonic balancer does not fit the shaft. NPD part 6316-1A listed as "65-68 289 excl HiPo" (I have a C code). The keyway in the sleeve is too thin to fit over the key on the crankshaft. OEM (C8 casting number in it, but cracked and unusable) is about 0.190", the new about 0.180"... Not sure why... again anyone else seen this... or have a fix? $100 part, shipped to Oz, that I am hoping is not a paperweight...

Mosesatm

I think it's the wrong year gasket. From what I understand '68 water pumps have 2 more holes than '67 pumps. You may have got a generic gasket for all years.

CougarCJ

There are two gaskets.

You have taken off the plate from your water pump. You need the inner gasket for that surface.

The gasket that you are having problems with is the one that mates the pump to the timing cover.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

The gasket that you are having problems with is the one that mates the pump to the timing cover.

I checked that, the other timing gasket (timing cover to pump plate) is fine and fits perfectly.

I ended up cutting a new one out of make-a-gasket sheeting.

I have sent NPD a query as the kit was listed for 65-73.

Anyone seen an issue like the one with the balancer?