• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Engine went in today.

somethingspecial

Well, we started out at 0900 hours this morning, and by 1800 hours, It was finely in. Robinette was awsom with the chain lift, lowering the engine in ever so gently. We thought we were going to have to use some KY jelly to fit it in, Boy is it tight. We managed to put it in with only slight scratches on the oil pan from the front sway bar. We got the engine about 6 feet in the air, and the chain hoist jammed. $*&#^!!!!!!!! Thank god I had another one. We hung it next to the jammed POS, and re hooked and it went smooth sailing from there. Hooked up the transmission, and I thought I had done something wrong, It slid right in and bolted up with my fingers. Never had one go in like that. About 5 minutes elapsed time from start to final tightening of the bolts. Someone was smiling on us. NOW, the rest.

Attachments

• engine install 1.JPG
    engine install 1.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 46
  • engine install 2.JPG
    engine install 2.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 42
  • engine install 3.JPG
    engine install 3.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

More

My daughter Marissa was behind the camera, and her boyfriend Rich was giving a hand.

Attachments

• engine install 4.JPG
    engine install 4.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 33
  • engine install 5.JPG
    engine install 5.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 39
  • engine install 6.JPG
    engine install 6.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 52
OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

and more

The engine sat down like it was made to go there. Oh, It was. LOL

Attachments

• engine install 7.JPG
    engine install 7.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 46
  • engine install 8.JPG
    engine install 8.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 32
  • engine install 9.JPG
    engine install 9.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 51

68gt390

Mike;
Very nice pictures. I can relate to that very thing several months ago. Bet your chomping at the bit to fire that baby up!!!!!!

Don - :grin:

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

Thanks guys. Don, you have no idea, but I won't fire it until it is ready. Still have to do the exhaust and finish some wireing. For Those wondering what 164NUTS is, the plate on the car is 164 NTS, So Tim always called it 164 NUTS, and it stuck with me. Mike

P

PNewitt

This is a HUGE, huge milestone for Mike. This car has quite a history, too, which Mike may tell another day.

I saw this awesome (!!) GT390 on the engine stand, and took several photos of it for the book--at the party.

Getting this engine in place is everything, and from my own experience switching long block 302s, I can appreciate the close tolerences Mike & Co., had to endure.

This GT/CS is Mike's heart and soul. It has a long history, and getting this 390 into it's resting place is a very, very big acheivement.

Congratulations, Mike, Robinette, and family!

Job well done!

Paul N.

Mustanglvr

I think it will be doing everything else but resting in that engine compartment Paul. :)

sam

what a feat of accommplishement. That engine looks awesome...........that's the only thing left for me to do on mine. Best of luck and thanks for sharing pictures
Sam

6t8-390gt

It looks good, congrats!!! Have you decided what your first show is going to be. It's been a long time for this one I remember the magazine articles. Keep us posted.

Danny

OP
OP
somethingspecial

somethingspecial

Thanks for all the woderful comments. I will keep you posted as it progresses. I just hooked up my scanner, and will be scanning photos to post, and I will do up a story of the car and post it in the gallery. But not tomorrow, give me time. Thanks
I can't project a show until it is complete. The car was featured in Mustang Illustrated Jan 01' thru Oct. 01, under the title Project Something Special. The series covered body, trans rebuild, rear end rebuild, wheels, fiberglass repair, etc. It was also featured in 96' in MI discussing Quarter panel replacement and Top loader 4 speed rebuild. For some reason, the first trans rebuild was bunk, so they had to do it again. Mike