• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Exploding Gas Tanks--We should talk about it.

CougarCJ

I remember another fuel tank issue

Like a hushed family secret, I wanted to bring this topic out into the open. This is why I brought up the subject.

Here are two websites I think that everyone should first get a close look at:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1999/05/17/60II/main47539.shtml

and...

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=96&did=478

What I hope to do is educate and make everyone aware of the POTENTIAL of what can happen with our gas tanks in a severe accident. I don't mean to be alarmist, or pass judgement, or "go after" Ford on this--but to just direct you to this information. Many '68 GT/CS cars have passed hands since 1999, and new owners may not know about this topic.

When this first surfaced in 1999, there were letters to Mustang Monthly saying how the media was 'hyping" this, and My response was that there was some "denial" in regards to the problem.

But--regardless of what lies between the "truth"; lawyers, and corporations, WE NEED TO LOOK OUT FOR OURSELVES, if it means upgrading and modifying our own Mustangs, so be it. Although this is an individual decision, I felt as Registrar, that it's my responsibility to bring it to your attention; for you to make an informed choice. Just if I had heard about bad brakes, faulty engine parts, seat backs, wiring, etc...("IF" it were the case with these items).

You'll read in the CBS article that there were no standards or tests for gas tank-crashes back in the late 1960s. As a side note, read some of Iaccoca's comments about safety, and "that old Mustang".

I have this episode on tape, and have seen the Test #301. If you saw the gas (they used water) force its way into the back seat, you'd do something, too. Perhaps this video is on the net.

I also would like to know what the people that make "Tank Armor" have to say about the filler-neck-shearing-off problem and how their product protects people. Not that I doubt that it works, but you still have the filler neck there after you install their product.

Arlie's valve idea has merit. I wonder if you could remove the filler neck completely, and fill the tank like they did with the Trans-Am cars, with a cap right on top of the tank (you would have to open the trunk). BUT...that has it's own problems, with gas vapors, spillage, etc...

With all the pre-'71 Mustangs on the road, I'd think some sort of present-day retrofit could be designed. A stock-looking Mustang/Cougar fuel cell still hasn't been produced, and at a reasonable price. If something like that could be made, they'd sell thousands.

Paul N.

Paul, I previously owned two Chevrolet trucks 1976 and 1985. Same deal with the side tanks outside of the frame. Same expose by CBS?. As I recall on the Chevrolet trucks CBS was found out to have 'rigged' the outcome of the crash testing. I know that there were instances of fatalities, but CBS was unable to duplicate the outcome without a staged and rigged fuel tank crash test. This goes back before 1999 though.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

The Chevy Truck thing was on NBC. But, you don't have to think too far to realize that putting gas tanks on the OUTSIDE of a frame is bad news. GM did that to get maximum space for gas, to compete with what Ford and Dodge already had.

It would take too long to cite examples of media vs. large corporations and the Public Relations snafus involved. Who can trust any of them today?

As for the Mustang, it's Ford's own test footage that says it all. Crash Test #301 is pretty convincing.

So--I think it's an individual decision based on all the facts provided. I just wanted to provide as much as I can to let people decide for themselves.

Paul N.

gt bandit

Just an observation , But Australian Fords were manufactured up to around 1978 with drop in fuel tanks that sat directly behind the rear seat. they included a well in the center for the spare wheel

Looks like we were late to learn !!!!!

Mustanglvr

Has`nt the early Mustangs been compared to the Pinto`s? They were recalled because of a similar problem right?

Mustanger

Just an observation , But Australian Fords were manufactured up to around 1978 with drop in fuel tanks that sat directly behind the rear seat. they included a well in the center for the spare wheel

Looks like we were late to learn !!!!!

GT Bandit,

I maybe wrong, but the design layout you mentioned may not be so bad after all ... I know that the proximity of the tank to passengers is concerning, but in the case of an actual rear-end collision, the vehicle's trunk could physically protect the vehicle's occupants by taking the impact of the collision and possibly crumpling and the tank may end up not being touched at all ... I'm assuming that there is a trunk and not a "1 ft trunk/hatchback" of course ...

gt bandit

GT Bandit,

I maybe wrong, but the design layout you mentioned may not be so bad after all ... I know that the proximity of the tank to passengers is concerning, but in the case of an actual rear-end collision, the vehicle's trunk could physically protect the vehicle's occupants by taking the impact of the collision and possibly crumpling and the tank may end up not being touched at all ... I'm assuming that there is a trunk and not a "1 ft trunk/hatchback" of course ...

Sorry I may have misrepresented my observation , the Fords i speak of have exactly the same setup as the Mustang , but usually with Side fillers instead of rear fillers. Basically the floor of the trunk all the way to the rear seat is gas tank. My XBGT had a 27gallon tank in it Standard - that's a lot of gas flying around if it was full , which it never was!! at OZ gas prices.

gt bandit

okay Arlie where does the line start for these free fuel tanks

By the way - can you explain your handle , my wife and I are having an argument over its hidden meaning !

Mosesatm

Actually there is no hidden meaning, "ATM" are just my initials.
okay Arlie where does the line start for these free fuel tanks

By the way - can you explain your handle , my wife and I are having an argument over its hidden meaning !

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

It's suprising that someone by now hasn't figured out how to use something like a Summit Fuel Cell, and make it work in a '65-'70 Mustang. That, is make the appropiate brackets, filler neck (if feasible), etc. to work effectively.

I realize that this is not an epidemic problem, and those that own older cars DO tend to drive more carefully. It's just that with what we've found and discussed, that I hope that we don't ever lose a single person to this potential problem. It's your own decision about what to do.

With how the street rod market is coming towards Mustangs (i.e. "Restomods), I'm sure that someone will figure out some high-tech solution, or figure out how to retrofit a late-model Ford tank into a classic Mustang--without really noticing it.

I appreciate all your input.

Paul N.
BTW-- if anyone out there is welding near a gas tank--remember that the residual fumes in a tank are as bad or worse (for fire/explosion) than a full tank, when sparks or flame are near.

OP
OP
P

PNewitt

For reference to install a fuel cell, you can look up these two articles in your collection of "Old Mustang Magazines" :

1. "Tanks A Lot", March 2000 "Mustangs & Fords", page 34 (Fuel Safe Unit)

2. "All's CELL That Ends Well", August 1998 "Mustang Illustrated", page 66 (Gemini Racing Systems).

Paul N.

Mustanglvr

Could someone explain the process and safety precautions to be taken when welding a metal piece behind the backseat?