• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

family-owned gtcs

Jerry

My elderly aunt bought this gtcs new in 68 in Los Angeles. She is the proverbial "little old lady from Pasadena" who only drove it to church and the grocery store and an annual trip to Vegas to gamble. It only has 120,000 miles on it. Her son had mostly restored it (only some minor interior work left) when he "threw a rod" while giving it a tuneup (helluva tuneup) and then my aunt went blind and it's been sitting in a garage for 15 years. I will check the VIN and get a report on it as recommended in some posts I see, but I know it's the real deal since I've got all the paperwork Anyway, it's mine now.

My question is this -- I live in Oakland CA and am having it towed her ein a few weeks and am considering Mostly Mustangs to replace the engine (289 2V). does any one have an opinion on them? Anyone else good in this area? Should I have them rebuild my original block or put another rebuilt one in? What's the best for maximizing the car's value? Is there a big difference?

thanks to you all for any help

68sunlitgold

Jerry,
definately keep the original engine, there is still a debate on value but most believe a car with matching number engine is more valuable. If rebuilding is too costly and you can throw a new one in cheaper then do it but keep the original.
Doug

darb

Jerry,

Well nice to see a somewhat local GT/CS owner in the area (I'm in Pasadena, CA). I honestly believe that the serious buyer for a rare car will want to have the original engine it.

As these cars age more and more, and the value increases - the rarity of the fully stock ones will show. The cars that have all the original pieces are going to be those that are more desirable. Especially with a car that has been in the family its entire life!

I see it as a waste to remove the original matching numbers engine on an official GT/CS. It may be a cheaper choice now, but I'm sure you'll see the ding in value later.

-Brad
(Goodluck on the project!)

OP
OP
J

Jerry

Thanks for the replies. I just had a long talk with the chief mechanic at Mostly Mustangs and he wants to rebuild the original to keep everything matched just as you stated so that's the way I'm going.

I'm sure I'll be back seeking more advice as the project progresses. Thanks.

Calspecialdreamer

Jerry,

I'm glad to see you are keeping it original. As has been discussed "ad-nausium" on this site, it will be worth it in the end.