• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Getting ready to paint..

jc68gtcs

I've got a pretty clean Seafoam Green CS and was told when I bought it that the paint was original. I've got several areas on the car that I just can't live with so I've taken the car to a couple of resto shops here in S.E. Michigan and needless to say, the paint (while it's not horrible), is not original.

I'm pretty comfortable with a guy that comes highly recommended from a guy who runs a local car show. He painted his 57 Chevy in candy apple red and not that I have a great eye for paint, but it looks pretty darn good. The 57 owner is promoting his work through the car club. I'm planning on checking out some more of his work but I'm just looking for some advice on getting my CS done right. I'm going to stay with the same color since after looking through the last registry I believe that I may have the only Seafoam Green 302 4 speed w/Air left. If anyone else has one or knows of one, please let me know so that I can stop my dilusions of rarity.

So any sound advice would be helpful. Things like: questions to ask, stripe placements, paint brands (this guy is a certified PPG painter and wants to go basecoat, clearcoat?), tips on restoring chrome, exterior parts houses, etc. I've used our local NPD for Interior stuff, but haven't bought any exterior parts from them yet.

thanks in advance.

Ruppstang

Once you have found a painter that you feel that will deliver the job that you want. It is very important to have a clear understanding as to time line of the work and the payment schedule. Many job go wrong in this aria.
The gentalman I bought our HCS from also had a Seafoam Green 4 Speed car but I think it was a C code 289. It is a rare color I am glad you are not changing it. I can't wait to see pictures. Good Luck Marty

franklinair

For parts, I've had GREAT response with Ron (clubpro) at R&R. If you PM him with your needs- he gives a nice discount to site members. Plus the fact that he's good people!
The stripe placement is illustrated in one of the old C/S books. If you don't have one, PM me & I'll loan you mine.

Neil

Ersel66

When you repaint a car and it looks shiney and new, the downside about it, is all the other parts look old and worn. So...be prepared to spend money on new (repro) exterior parts for your car, including rechroming bumpers and possibly replacing the glass on your car too, etc, etc. It all adds up to $$$.

OP
OP
jc68gtcs

jc68gtcs

thanks for the input guys.. Neil, I appreciate the offer, that's very generous of you. I've got the last registry, so i'll take a look in that and see what's listed for stripe placement.
I will be sending out most of my chrome for re-plating so if anyones got a line on that, I'd appreciate it.
thanks again.