• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

grille for HCS

69convert

Need a grille for an HCS. Should I get a 67 and modify or go with a repo.
Are the repos just a 67 that someone has already done the modification on?
is it possible to find an NOS and would it be worth the $$.
Need a set of marchal or lucas lights (and a winning lottery ticket to purchase them) also. Any suggestions?

Mustanglvr

Getting an NOS grille would be the way to go if you`re going concourse with the car. Mine has a 67 grille and it looks fine. There are a few things about my car that are`nt original so I don`t mind the 67 grille. I think you could take the brackets off of it to make it look better though.

Mosesatm

Converting the '67 grille is a fairly simple process if you want to go that route. A '67 repro grille will cost around $90 and a set of brackets from Delta Bay Mustang run right around $75 I think. The only other things you need are paint ($10) and pop rivets ($4). So, if you have the tools, you are looking at $200.

For tools you'll need:
drill to remove the old pop rivets
pop rivet gun
tin snips or maybe a Dremel to cut out the openings
metal file to file down the edges of the openings

Don't forget to paint the back of the brackets. They show when the hood is open.

If you'd like I can send you a drawing of the front of the grille so you know where the 2 large openings go.

OP
OP

69convert

so.....
if I modify a 67 grille it will be look like a true hcs/cs grille? Assuming I
don't make a mistake of course (which usually happens on the last part of anything I do).
Can you even get an NOS grille anymore?
Which brings up the question, "did shelby have the grilles made special or did he have the 67 grill modified"? Anybody know?

Mosesatm

I can't tell the difference but there might be some real nitpicky, MCA types, (Jason and Don!) who might be able to tell. If you are looking for a 100 point car you may need to go original but I just can't say for sure.

Bill has the grille out of his car. Maybe this weekend we'll put his and mine next to each other and photograph them so eveyone can see the differences, if there are any.

PFSlim

We went the 67 grill and brackets (for Marshal Fog Lights) from Delta Mustang. Really worked out great. However, don't forget to order the correct color of paint. There have been several posts on this on this site for paint type and color.

In the end, I think it looks great and the Delta Mustang folks send out a good product.

Paul

Mosesatm

PFSlim said:
We went the 67 grill and brackets (for Marshal Fog Lights) from Delta Mustang. Really worked out great. However, don't forget to order the correct color of paint. There have been several posts on this on this site for paint type and color.

In the end, I think it looks great and the Delta Mustang folks send out a good product.

Paul

Can you buy the whole setup already made from Delta Bay or is some assembly required?

I used '67 Styled Steel Wheel paint because the Mustang suppliers carry it. To me it looks like a perfect match. It's fairly transparent, though, so it might be best to use a flat black first then spray the color coats.

PFSlim

Mosesatm said:
Can you buy the whole setup already made from Delta Bay or is some assembly required?

I used '67 Styled Steel Wheel paint because the Mustang suppliers carry it. To me it looks like a perfect match. It's fairly transparent, though, so it might be best to use a flat black first then spray the color coats.

Arlie

No. We had to build per your instructions above. No hard to do except to taking that first step in cutting into the new grill. Just makes you pucker alittle.

Paul

Attachments

• Stang440.JPG
    Stang440.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Stang441.JPG
    Stang441.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 27

Mosesatm

PFSlim said:
Arlie

No. We had to build per your instructions above. No hard to do except to taking that first step in cutting into the new grill. Just makes you pucker alittle.

Paul

It certainly does!!!

PFSlim

The only worse pucker factor was drilling the holes in the new hood for the hood pins. Wow. Still shaking over that one!!!!

Paul

Mosesatm

PFSlim said:
The only worse pucker factor was drilling the holes in the new hood for the hood pins. Wow. Still shaking over that one!!!!

Paul

Someone didn't pucker enough on the car I bought. One pin is about an inch farther back than the other.

Mosesatm

Here's a picture of how not to do it.

Last edited:

jk89cat

paul i am glad i am not the only uneasy about drilling sheetmetal ! gives me te willys just thinking about it, just one little messup .... and you may have to change out a panel

nfrntau

Mosesatm said:
Here's a picture of how not to do it.

The cats out of the bag.

No problem on comparing the grills. I think Arlies grill looks great, I will be surprised if there is a immediately visible difference. Like Arlie said, the guys looking for nuts and bolts colors etc. would probably notice. Nobody else will.

As for an original grill, plan on spending alot of time and money finding one in good condition. (Nope, mines not for sale. lol)

Mosesatm

Here is the layout for the bracket holes. Sorry it's in a pdf format.

Last edited:
OP
OP

69convert

thanks for all the help with the grill. I ordered a 67 grill yesterday. Wish me luck! I am already getting ill just thinking of cutting on a perfectly good part. Guess I need to order the brackets next.
b

PFSlim

Once again, I think Delta Mustang is the place to go for the brackets.

I used a Dremmel to cut out my grill pieces, then used a light file to get rid of any rough edges. Then painted.

Remember, measure twice, cut once!!!!! Oh - make sure the kids and the dog are out of the house when you do it!!! Good luck.

Paul

Mosesatm

If you don't have a Dremel ordinary tin snips work fine. I think you might be surprised at how soft the metal is. To keep from cutting the wrong part of the grille it might help to outline your cut lines with masking tape. The tape also helps keep the grille steady when filing the rough edges.