• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS CJ

Mosesatm

Here is a link to 1968 428 CJ production.

http://www.428cobrajet.org/production.html

The San Jose plant equipped 171 Mustangs with 428 CJs in 1968.

There were 1299 total CJs in 1968 out of 317,404 total Mustangs produced for a rate of .41%. If we extrapolate that number to GT/CS production we end up with 16 California Specials equipped with the 428. So after all that all we know is that we are somewhere between 16 and 171 cars. That is a pretty big spread.

It looks like Kevin has already done a lot of the work since the link credits him for the numbers so it shouldn’t take much for him to break at the GT/CS cars..

Canuck CSter

I too have heard of that number for 428 gt/cs

Think I read it in pauls first book

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1913;start=15#msg12910 date=1122567248]
Here is a link to 1968 428 CJ production.

http://www.428cobrajet.org/production.html

The San Jose plant equipped 171 Mustangs with 428 CJs in 1968.

There were 1299 total CJs in 1968 out of 317,404 total Mustangs produced for a rate of .41%. If we extrapolate that number to GT/CS production we end up with 16 California Specials equipped with the 428. So after all that all we know is that we are somewhere between 16 and 171 cars. That is a pretty big spread.

It looks like Kevin has already done a lot of the work since the link credits him for the numbers so it shouldn’t take much for him to break at the GT/CS cars..

[/quote]

C160223

One thing we have to remember is that the CJ was not available/introduced till April 1 68' which was near the end of the GT/CS production. I'm guessing that the number of CJ GT/CS's is on the low scale of that percentage, or even less. Also, with the ratio of "known" cars that exsist now between CJ GT/CS & HCS's. I'm betting that there a less CJ GT/CS than CJ HCS

OP
OP
case12

case12

That is a great point (the 428 coming in late in the year about the same time as HCS's) , and not something I factored into my thinking.

I will pitch in to get the number from Kevin M. You guys let me know, and I will ask him for a price (if someone hasnt already done it). I would guess we want to know how many of each engine type there is for the CS and HCS in 1968 - right?

Casey

hicountrybob

Casey, right on! DO IT. Ofcourse, I'll pitch in, too, on the cost for this info (including the engine breakdown you would ask for. hicountry bob here

joedls

[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=1913;start=15#msg12904 date=1122559076]
[quote author=case12 link=board=1;threadid=1913;start=15#msg12902 date=1122557769]
OK, thanks for setting me straight Bob - So, to summarize:

9 HCS with 428 CJ

? GT/CS with 428 CJ (2 known in registry)

I might guess that if the percentages were the same that nine 428 HCS's out of 251 HCS is 3.5%. So, 3.5% of 3867 GT/CS's is one hundred and thirty five 428 GT/CS's. Amazing we only know of two of them?

Casey
[/quote]

OR

there was a few HCS dealers that got a good idea to order a few 428 and maybe only a handful of CS's were made.

I would be willing to carry SOME of the cost to have Kevin Marti give us the EXACT numbers of 428's (and even all the other engine sizes especially 390's). This would be VERY good info for Paul's updated book.

Anyone else ready to chip in some $$$ to find out the TRUE numbers?
[/quote]

Count me in.

390cs68rcode

Casey

I would call him up but I am in London until Wednesday of next week. Please, let's do all engines for CS's and HCS all in one shot so once and for all the data will be correct.

P

PNewitt

I can't say how appreciative I am for all your help and interest in helping me with the numbers from Kevin Marti.

I was going to send him a letter asking what it would cost to do several number breakdowns for the book. I had hoped that the promotion of the "Marti Report" within this site--and my impending mailing (to over 800) may give us some "credit" towards obtaining this information.

I think some of you are right in your educated guesses about CS vs. HCs CJ cars. Just by the timing in production, there may be more of the HCS CJ than GT/CS. The trick is to get the DSOs for all 9 of the CJ cars to figure this out. I can see these cars being the most coveted of the CS/HCS legacy--and values up there (or higher) with the Shelbys. All it takes is one article in Mustang Monthly to point this out.

Again, my sincere thanks for your help. Certainly ask Marti what and how to do this. I'd sure like to get most to all the production specs (interior, colors, engines, transmissions, etc.), all settled, because I know that owners want this info.

Paul Newitt

OP
OP
case12

case12

I will call Kevin monday. I will take care of the cost and just let people know, and we can figure it out later. Before I do call, I want to insure our expectations are met. I was going to ask Kevin to simply give us a breakdown of 1968 CS and HCS by engine type.

If I should ask for more, or something different, let's figure it out before I call. The more complicated, the more costly, so just let me know. (Paul, maybe you have more in mind that we should do while we are at it....just let me know). Casey

P

PNewitt

Casey--

We'll have to toss e-mails around, but I'll need copyright permission as part of getting the numbers. At least you could open the door with Kevin to do this.

Thanks so much!! This will help so many people!

Paul N.

OP
OP
case12

case12

RFQ (Request for Quote) for engine type, and for all statistics for CS and HCS sent to MartiAuto today...copied Paul. Will let you know when they respond. Requested copyright use for Paul as well. Casey

Mosesatm

[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=1913;start=30#msg13058 date=1122928433]
cost? processing time? did you talk to him on the phone? details!
[/quote]

Patience.......grasshopper......

390cs68rcode

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1913;start=30#msg13059 date=1122928594]
[quote author=jbsteven link=board=1;threadid=1913;start=30#msg13058 date=1122928433]
cost? processing time? did you talk to him on the phone? details!
[/quote]

Patience.......grasshopper......
[/quote]

unfortunately I have no patience.

OP
OP
case12

case12

I spoke to them, and they wanted me to send them a request for quote in writing, which I did today. They acknowledged receipt and will get back to me. I asked for two quotes - one for engine breakdown only, the other for a total statistical run for all CS's and HCS's - and requested both be available for Paul's book. So, I do not have a $ or timeframe yet. Casey