• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT/CS Clone (Sort of) on eBay

John McGilvary

Real Bad Clone

Arlie, this has got to be the worst clone I have ever seen! At least they say its a clone. Last year a friend told me he was going to buy a yellow CS at an auction here in Utah, and wanted me to check it out. The owner swore up and down it was a real CS, and people were willing to pay some heavy cash to buy it. Nice looking mustang, but it was a fake, and thats what I told everyone. The auction people pulled the car from the auction. John

Mustanglvr

The seller of this clone does`nt have a very good Ebay feedback rating.

So was it the vin number that gave it away John? or what was it that gave it away as a fake?

Last edited:

Trap68

The ad is hilarious. AC compressor pulled in order for a larger "302" engine? Oversize 14" tires? I believe the rear quarter reflectors are wrong for the VIN number posted and they look too short in length. Has 67 grille accessories. Custom GT steering wheel? My car came with the same one and you need Popeye arms to turn the car if ya don't have power steering. And I thought GT Mustang hubcaps say "GT" on them. He's also probably got some delusional reserve price since of course this "could be" a TRUE CS clone.

still looking for one

The best thing about this one is the correct 1968 Southern California black plates.

It needs so much to be a decent CS clone, the best thing would probably to bring it back to a stock 1968 notchback.

It really been messed with. Tim's (Midnight Special) blue clone, which I've had the privilege to see in person, is a VERY convincing clone worthy of the name.

Jim B

quicknick

Like kissing your sister, this is just wrong! There ought to be laws against this kind of thing.

Midnight Special

still looking for one said:
The best thing about this one is the correct 1968 Southern California black plates.

It needs so much to be a decent CS clone, the best thing would probably to bring it back to a stock 1968 notchback.

It really been messed with. Tim's (Midnight Special) blue clone, which I've had the privilege to see in person, is a VERY convincing clone worthy of the name.

Jim B

...Thank you Jim for your kind words. By the way, as you're a local - be sure and come to the Auburn Air Show on Saturday where aside from the obvious, there will be alot of nice cars! In fact - PM me if you are going as I may need an alternate driver (see thread in GT/CS Disc. forum)...

Indeed, this car is a disappointment!

marie68csmustangs

Yeah, it doesn't even look like a GT/CS - The grill is not even blacked out... The only thing that I like is the color.. Yeah, even a well done clone would laugh at this one....

Marie

John McGilvary

Mustanglvr said:
The seller of this clone does`nt have a very good Ebay feedback rating.

So was it the vin number that gave it away John? or what was it that gave it away as a fake?
No, the vin number could have been from a CS. But the fog lights were mounted on a 67 front grill, upsidedown. The grill had a shinny horse in its corral. The pigtail for the rear lights was wrong, the space around the tail lights was painted argent like the 68 Shelby. The rear panel was that of a stock mustang, not a CS. It was a very nice clean Mustang, but no CS. In Utah we don't have many CS's so I guess the guy thought his fake would slide by. He should have said it was a clone in the first place, it would have brought a good price. John

Mustanglvr

You would think if they were going to make a clone of a GT/CS, and try to sell it as authentic, it would be a good clone. Its good you caught that. I hate to think of all the people that get taken that way. Its just not good business. Thanks for the reply John.

John McGilvary

You are welcome Rhonda. Ya can't blame people for wanting Mustangs as goodlooking as ours. I think if you are going to make a clone of a CS, you should let everyone know it is a clone. John

Tiffany

The Person Selling This Mustang

First Of All I Have Listed It As A Clone 4 Different Times On The Ebay Site

2nd Yes The Car Is Not 100% Right To Your Standards,
Because I Ran Out Of Cash Fixing This Thing,(which Explains Why Im Selling It)

3rd Of All I Don't Think Its Any Of Your Business What People Is Selling Or How They List Their Cars

4th If You Got Somthing To Say Somthing About Someones Car Say It To Them, Not Behind Thier Backs

So I Dont Know Where You People Get Off Saying This Or That Isn't Right, When It Is Clearly Stated And Adverstised As A Clone!!

390cs68rcode

Tiffany said:
First Of All I Have Listed It As A Clone 4 Different Times On The Ebay Site

2nd Yes The Car Is Not 100% Right To Your Standards,
Because I Ran Out Of Cash Fixing This Thing,(which Explains Why Im Selling It)

3rd Of All I Don't Think Its Any Of Your Business What People Is Selling Or How They List Their Cars

4th If You Got Somthing To Say Somthing About Someones Car Say It To Them, Not Behind Thier Backs

So I Dont Know Where You People Get Off Saying This Or That Isn't Right, When It Is Clearly Stated And Adverstised As A Clone!!

Tiffany:

You have alot to learn, I hope you can take criticism. Keep coming back to this thread. BTW is it hard to write on a computer and Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Word?

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Tiffany, you're just working with a tough crowd here. Most of them are not fond of clones in general so they tend to pick them apart when the opportunity arises.

Personally, I was fascinated by how the rear stripe was applied to the stock deck lid so I posted that picture and started this thread. I've never seen anyone apply a GT/CS rear stripe to a stock deck lid. It looks kind of cool.

It's too bad you ran out of money since it looks like you were on the right track.

Good luck with the auction.

Mustanglvr

It looks like the person doing the work just skipped a few things (decklid, endcaps, frontgrill) and went on to the paint and stripes. The paint is a very pretty color and the car is very nice. I think you just got a little ahead of yourself Tiffany.

Tiffany

I would appreciate if you took this thread off, if you knew that they was going to pick apart my car, you shouldn't have started it,

How you think that makes people feel about something they invested in, yes it is very unfortunate but if you only seen the car what it was before I started on it
it was basically a frame, so after all the hard work I put in this thing, for what so people can put it down, Now that’s just like kissing your sister, "It''s wrong"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Wow, if you only hadn't made those last 2 words all caps I might have agreed with you and asked Jon to take down the thread. Oh well, I guess you can chalk it up to a life lesson in how to get the things you want. Asking politely works much better than yelling.

Tiffany

Didn't your parents ever teach you, if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all