• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

GT Vs GT/CS

meadowsdk28

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1729;start=15#msg10944 date=1117170096]

What I find interesting is that the Gold Book shows the HCS valued lower than the GT/CS. So much for rarity affecting the value in a positive way. Could it be that the HCS is so rare that very few people know they exist so there is a very limited market for them? [/quote]

I think that is EXACTLY what this GT vs GTCS issue is all about! I personally believe (and don't agree with) that in the scenario posted, the GT would sell for more on EBAY. Why? People are generally leary of what they don't know. You can post it as rare or exotic all day long and Mr. and Mrs. Joe America will shy away from it and go for the sure thing. The car they've known and loved for 40 years. They identify with the GT more. It's in the movies, on TV, in advertising, giveaways at the local Hardees, raffels for the local AAU girls softball team...everywhere! They might really like the looks of the GT/CS. It probably intrigues them. In the end, I believe it takes a special person to fork over the cash to take the chance on one of these _________(we would say rare, they might say obscure) pony's. I'll bet there are many people on this board that can contradict me in multiple examples, but I'm talking an overall consensus. It's the multitude that will eventually drive (or not drive) up these prices. Me, I don't care about price. I got mine! Got it cheap back in the day and don't ever plan on selling.
One last example. My neighbor always has good things to say about my car. He thinks it's cool. THEN, he always goes on about how he woud love to have a 65 GT convertible one of these days. He's not a big Ford guy, but he knows those 65's. Why? 40 years of exposure! He's never once said "Know where I could get one of those?"

Mustanger

[quote author=68gt390 link=board=1;threadid=1729;start=15#msg10951 date=1117203258]
Arlie;
As for an "R" code HCS, look in the gallery page 4 and you'll see one (HighCountryBob).

Don ;)
[/quote]

I have an older issue of Mustang Monthly where Bob's R code is featured. I remember that it said per Marti Report, there were 9 R code HCS's ... and there are currently 6 accounted for today. ;)

meadowsdk28

[quote author=Mustanglvr link=board=1;threadid=1729;start=0#msg10942 date=1117162401]
David,of course its going to be worth more with all that extra stuff in it. [/quote]
David, before I go any father, let me say I've seen your car in the gallery and admire it very much. Love your dyno specs and I'll bet they will get quicker if I know the kind of guy you are, being quite similar to the guy I was 20 years ago!!
Having said that...If you ever go to sell it, you will probably lose your a@@ on the money you've invested in it. In your cars case, I doubt that WORTH=sum of its parts. You could probably break even or maybe even profit a bit if you brought the car back to near original specs (oh, a few odds and ends like a good 4 bbl carb and aluminum intake won't hurt it) and sold those other parts separately. My guess is (based on experience) people would run away from your car so fast, you would need a Christmas tree and timing lights to check for a new 1/4 mile record! I imagine they would see your car as one that's had a tough service life, road hard and put away wet, and generally been abused.

DONT GET ME WRONG, I THINK YOU'VE GOT A GREAT SET-UP!! I ADMIRE YOUR CAR. PLEASE DON'T BE OFFENDED!!

Heck, if you sold the parts on Ebay, I might even be a substantial bidder. It's just that your typical (is there such thing) Classic Mustang buyer is going to fork over substantial cash or financial committment hoping to drive a classic, stand out some, and have an INVESTMENT that should appreciate over time, whether they would ever sell or not. The mass buyers will pay more for the pampered puppy that is fairly stock as opposed to the proven Bow-tie killer.

The ironic twist of fate is this and I've witnessed it first hand. A guy will shy away from a car equipped as yours is, buy a showroom stock type car and within 6 months have it equipped just like yours or maybe not even as well. He will probably spend more in the process of doing it. He didn't plan on it, but it happened none the less.

Go Figure!

p.s. Did I tell you I admired your car?

coloradoHCS

I have thought about why all the value books usually list the 68 GTCS higher in value than the 68 HCS. Here is my opinion:

1. More exposure...more well know 4000+ vs 251

2. The California "mystic"...always worth something.

3. High country is not a clearly defined place. Maybe should have been a Colorado Special with , I agree a different shield design not carried over from 66 and 67.

4. I think the values are based on sales and with more GTCS sales with more higher optioned cars that leads to a skewing of the statistics.

Mark.

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

What a great idea. It would have been so easy to swap out the California script for a Colorado script. Probably could have used the same holes.

P

PNewitt

I guess I'll chime in on this one.

I can appreciate the pride and honor of the HCS owners, and I think how NADA (or whomever) "values" of these cars can seem unfair to the casual observer.

These values are usually made from auction results, and some posted sales in newspapers, and car magazines. There (wild guess) are probably less than 150 '68 HCS cars out there. How many of those cars go to auction--to be counted by NADA? Less than 10?

There are two things to remember here: One, the GT package for '68 wasn't "all that" by comparison to '65'66. It was stripes, fog lights, slotted wheels w/GT caps, GT gas cap, and HD suspension, which meant stiffer springs (all with a 4bbl V8).

Two--these cars were driven by marketing for the 1968 model year. Absolutely no one planned, nor cared at the time that these cars were going to be around for this long--much less have such a strong following. I'm speaking in marketing (pushing iron off the showroom floor) terms. The HCS decal was designed by local Denver Ford dealers. It was a local promotion. You have to accept it for what is is, and for what it was at the time. I happen to think that it's very unique (but let's not argue that).

There are so many different and unique Mustangs out there to appreciate and enjoy. Some people like Lime green '70 coupes, and some like red on red '65 convertibles. Value is a VERY SUBJECTIVE matter with these cars. ONE car at action can skew values overnight.

If outside folks have opinions about this or that Mustang, it's up to them to be educated before making that judgement--and it's up to us to educate folks at car shows, and that is why I did the books.

It's easy to get all ruffled about $$ value and value judgements. We have a lot to look forward to--and to enjoy with what we have.

Paul N..

davidathans

Thanks alot Meadowsdk28. I was not offended by what you said and i totally agree with you too that alot of buyers would shun away from my car because they might think it was abused. I do race the car, but i do it at the track and i meet all safety inspections. I truly have the car built to do this, everything has been replaced. The engine/tranny,rearend,suspension/brakes are all new and are all built for racing. I love this car and i truly do not want to sell it, Im just curious if people think that it would sell for $25000 or more based on the fact that it is one of the fastest california specials ever. My car seriously has more power than a GT350 shelby and maybe it could even beat a 428CJ if that motor was stock haha. Alot of people when they see me driving around would ask
"how much would you sell it for" I usually respond, "you couldnt afford what i would sell it for, $50000" I say this because anyone that buys a shelby buys it because its rare and fast and they generally love the looks and charisma. With my car, it is a very rare car and it is fully hooked up to be faster than a shelby gt350 so in my opinion i think it should sell for close to the price i see these shelbys selling on ebay for. It really is a buyer preference. I might be able to get 30K 40K or 50K depending on the presentation i make to the buyer, depending on if they are well financially off, and they are specifically looking for a rare California Special that is already fully muscled up with 400bhp and 340RWHP.

390cs68rcode

I would like to find some concrete info on the Texas Bluebonnet specials. There was a MM article a few months back about one of these.

anyone?

OP
OP
Mosesatm

Mosesatm

Jason, have you gone to Tom Schmidt's Mustang Links and browsed through it? Somewhere in that huge list is a link to "Specials" and I think the web page the link takes you to mentions the blue bonnets. You might be able to Google "Special Mustangs" or Mustang Specials" or something similar to get to that page.

From what I understand very little is known about the cars. Very little.

Mustanger

[quote author=Mosesatm link=board=1;threadid=1729;start=15#msg10977 date=1117220560]
Jason, have you gone to Tom Schmidt's Mustang Links and browsed through it? Somewhere in that huge list is a link to "Specials" and I think the web page the link takes you to mentions the blue bonnets. You might be able to Google "Special Mustangs" or Mustang Specials" or something similar to get to that page.

From what I understand very little is known about the cars. Very little.
[/quote]

Try this link:

http://pages.prodigy.net/d.hughmanick/specials.html

You're right, not much info out there.

meadowsdk28

[quote author=davidathans link=board=1;threadid=1729;start=15#msg10974 date=1117219700]
I might be able to get 30K 40K or 50K depending on the presentation i make to the buyer, depending on if they are well financially off, and they are specifically looking for a rare California Special that is already fully muscled up with 400bhp and 340RWHP. [/quote]

Hey, my degrees in marketing. Just let me know if you ever sell and we'll create the next Eleanor!