• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 HCS or GT/CS

franklinair

You lost me. Doesn't the Marti say 'California Special' ? Enlighten me.

Neil

BroadwayBlue

You lost me. Doesn't the Marti say 'California Special' ? Enlighten me.

Neil

Neil,

It is my understanding that High Country Special Marti reports will indicate the California Special option.

Take a look at Jon's (admin) Marti (1st in this thread).
http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3199

I'm assuming that the Colorado DSO is making them note that it is a High Country Special.

Question: Do we know that all Specials sold in the Colorado DSO were High Country's? Or could some have been California's?

OP
OP
GTCSMustang

GTCSMustang

I thought that all DSO 51 cars would be HCSs. I suspect this car was born an HCS and was just restored incorrectly.

Scott

OP
OP
GTCSMustang

GTCSMustang

The car in question fits within known HCS VINs, known HCS production dates.

Tim - There were 251 HCS cars.

Scott

FFSBK68

GT/CS or HCS???

Guys and Gals, that is my GT/CS on Ebay. I did buy it from a lady in Golden, Co, but had no idea that denver DSO's were all HCS's. If I had known that, I might not have started on the convert project and returned it to HCS trim.
Should have spent more time on this site, I guess.
Scott
Ffsbk68@aol.com

franklinair

Interesting.
If they rolled down the assembly line designated as a CS, would it then be incumbent on the assembly line worker to put the correct (HCS) emblem on the side scoop?
How would he know?
Are the 251 HCS units part of the 4118 figure?

Neil

OP
OP
GTCSMustang

GTCSMustang

The HCS emblems were shipped in the trunk and dealer installed.

The 251 is part of the 4118.

Scott

hcsstang

It should state on the marti report what it is. My report states that has the hcs features .Did CO. sell any cs cars?

admin

Staff member
Administrator
It's a High Country Special. All the DSO 51 cars were HCS's. Bob Teets has confirmed this, both in my discussions with him and posts he's made on the site (just can't find any of them at the moment)

It should state on the marti report what it is. My report states that has the hcs features.
Some of the older Marti reports show HCS cars as California Specials. I've talked with Kevin Marti about this. They're listed that way because that's how they come up in the Ford records that he uses to produce the reports. The DSO of 51 is what confirms they're HCS cars. Kevin has to manually catch this and alter the report to say "High Country Special", which I believe he is doing now. But that's why some of the reports on HCS cars (like mine) only list "California Special".

Scott, it's a nice car. Now it's just a sleeper HCS!

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Interesting.
If they rolled down the assembly line designated as a CS, would it then be incumbent on the assembly line worker to put the correct (HCS) emblem on the side scoop?
As Scott (GTCSMustang) said the decals were dealer installed.

But the assembly line worker still had to know somehow that the HCS cars were not GT/CS cars, because they had to avoid putting in the holes for the rear quarter panel script and avoid applying the GT/CS tape on the side scoops.

I'm not sure exactly how they were designated on the assembly line as HCS cars, but it's probably related to the fact that they were produced in bunches. So for a day or so the workers were told that that batch was all HCS cars.

Midnight Special

...4118 is the total number w GT/CS option to include 251 HCS, but I'm not conviced that the only cars available to Denver were HCS. I also heard somewhere that it was the last 251 of the 4118 which became HCS. Maybe Mr.. Teets can clarify this again...
One of my S-codes was a very late (7/18 build) Kansas City DSO. For a while, I was wondering if it may have been an HCS, tho I doubt it...

P.S. Thanks Jon and Scott - you answered before I finished posting :)

Attachments

• gt-csmartigrn.jpg
    gt-csmartigrn.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 37

admin

Staff member
Administrator
P.S. Thanks Jon and Scott - you answered before I finished posting :)
Yeah, I hear your typing speed is one of the first things to go as you get older. :wink:

Tim, your Kansas DSO won't be a HCS because it's not a 51 DSO. There were HCS cars sold by dealers in states outside of CO, including Wyoming, Nebraska, S. Dakota. But these were still DSO 51. They just went to non-CO dealers.

I'm sure Bob will jump in soon and confirm (or I'll be eating a lot of crow!) :icon_pani

OP
OP
GTCSMustang

GTCSMustang

My CJ HCS was delivered new to South Dakota but has a Denver DSO (51).

Scott

BroadwayBlue

Great info as always from everyone!!
Information by committee, what a team! :grin:

Hopefully Bob Teets will join the discussion and clear up anything mis-stated.

Nice car Scott (FFSBK68). Easy to understand making that mistake.
Good Luck with the sale!

68 GTCS

My 68 HCS has both the California Special option and the High Country Special option listed on the Marti report.

Kevin