• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Headliner

68JET

Hi. I'm restoring my 1968 GT/CS. The car is sunlit gold with nugget gold interior. I can't seem to be able to find a nugget gold headliner for the coupe. One vendor did send me one for a fastback by mistake, but doesn't have one for a coupe. Also, I can't find any sun visors in nugget gold neither, only for convertible. I can get the headliner and sun visors in ivy gold, I just don't know if that would look ok. Any suggestions would be apreciated.

franklinair

What's the condition of the headliner? Torn? Seams splitting? All the suppliers seem to disclaim a true Nugget Gold headliner color. It could be dyed if the physical condition is OK.
The sunvisors can be dyed quite easily: NPD #VP-5800. This can also be used to dye the headliner.
The Nugget Gold interior is a great color. I did one a couple years ago.
(The Deluxe front seats are for my next project.)

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_0191 (2).jpg
    IMG_0191 (2).jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC00704.jpg
    DSC00704.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00791.jpg
    DSC00791.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP

68JET

Neil. Thank you for the reply.
The original headliner is beyond repair, so maybe I can order a ivy gold one and paint it? You're right it is a great color, but I am not keeping it totally original, I am adding a center, and an upper console, and being the car is sunlit gold, I am thinking of breaking it up a little bit with black ( black consoles and carpet). I was hoping that someone made a NG head liner for a coupe, like they do for a fastback. At this point I'm thinking that dying the headliner and sun visors might be my only choice. The interior in your pictures looks stunning.

franklinair

TMI makes a molded one piece headliner for '68 coupes. I have one (Nugget Gold) to install on my next project GT/CS. But it will not accommodate the upper console.

Neil

OP
OP

68JET

I talked with cj pony parts yesterday, and they never mentioned anything about the TMI headliner. I looked it up, and it looks like a convenient way to put up a headliner, but I'm pretty set in wanting the upper console, so I think I'll just dye one. I'll let you know how it comes out.

green56

Have you check with SMS auto upolst they have loads of material when i needed material for my 56 pontic had no problem to get it check to see if they have it Tom

franklinair

Do you have/need upper & lower consoles? I have a couple spares, 'driver' quality.

Neil

OP
OP

68JET

Neil. Thank you for the offer. I have both consoles, had them for a few years now, i need a passenger side quarter extension. Someone on this site has one, did send me pictures, but i haven't heard from him for a few days. He might have changed his mind. The one that i have is missing the lower part. If i can't find one i am thinking of getting a repro and splicing it, but there seems to be quite a difference between the original and repro.

OP
OP

68JET

Tom. Thank you for the suggestion. I think the easier way out is to dye the headliner. I will call SMS for material for another car. I have a 68 1/2 CJ with low miles that i will be restoring next. The car is complete with all its original parts except that someone modified the seats. The inserts are some kind of cloth material surrounded by the original vinyl. Oh yeah and it has T tops, LOL.