• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 help needed

cool68

okay guys I know this may be a long shot.....but I needs some help fore my GT/CS family.....I want to learn how to restore my GT/CS mainly the body work which includes some welding....I would like to get with someone who would really teach me the right way...I would pay the person for there time...we could do the work at my home....or we could do it at there home or shop.....I just want to learn......I live in Victorville California....if you guys know anyone near me.....please let me know....this is a dream of mine..my name is Allen I can be reached at 661 878 6422 :smile:
thank you

dalorzo_f

I'd suggest looking into evening/weekend vocational courses on auto body work. Not sure about there, but here in Oz there are numerous options for this type of learning.

x-codegtcs

+1 - welding sheet metal is not easy and you could end up doing more damage than good in a real hurry. A vocational school will give you all you need to know.

BOSS3024ME

Welding

I learned a long time ago somethings you just need to have someone else do.

If you want a really nice car it might be worth finding someone to do it for you

Just my .02

J_Speegle

okay guys I know this may be a long shot.....but I needs some help fore my GT/CS family.....I want to learn how to restore my GT/CS mainly the body work which includes some welding....I would like to get with someone who would really teach me the right way...I would pay the person for there time...we could do the work at my home....or we could do it at there home or shop.....I just want to learn......I live in Victorville California....if you guys know anyone near me.....please let me know...........

Think one of the challenges it the term " the right way"

This can be taken as a really strong repair, like original or other ways and they don't always mean the same thing. Many welders will think nothing at adding extra brackets or welds in an effort to make it better or stronger ( got lost of stories:( but that might not be what your looking for.

I do like the idea of community college to learn the methods and techniques as well as learning all the tools and equipment you'll need to do the job. But remember that there is no EASY button and the one you have chosen is not the cheapest nor quickest but can be the most fulfilling.

Not that far from you but I can't think of many guys that know their trade that would be willing to travel with their equipment to you and your car for what will not be a few hours.

dalorzo_f

An option for "home schooling" might be to buy a MIG (or whatever welder you are looking at, MIG seems to be the best option for the home DIY-er for this hobby from the little I know on the subject) and having it on site. That makes it easier for someone to come in and show you the ropes on your tools, they just drive-in/drive-out, no need to shuffle equipment/tools....

whodat

Are those rims you have the one's that don't need a trim ring?