• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Hesitation at low speed, tming problem

rvrtrash

Can't imagine why Pony carbs would recommend an approach to timing like that.
Rob

Actually, there is a small nugget of truth in there somewhere. The outer ring on an old dampner CAN move-a little-but I wouldn't recommend you not use it right off the bat. If you find top dead center, you can apply a tape made for this situation http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-163594&autoview=sku and correct any inaccuracy. I wouldn't use rpm as an indicator in any case, but rather a vacumn gauge. Sounds to me like someone at Pony Carbs read a book somewhere, understood part of it, and is now an expert. (Hope you don't think the same of me by the way. I can't read :grin: )

Steve

OP
OP
G

gtcs1

Actually, there is a small nugget of truth in there somewhere. The outer ring on an old dampner CAN move-a little-but I wouldn't recommend you not use it right off the bat. If you find top dead center, you can apply a tape made for this situation http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-163594&autoview=sku and correct any inaccuracy. I wouldn't use rpm as an indicator in any case, but rather a vacumn gauge. Sounds to me like someone at Pony Carbs read a book somewhere, understood part of it, and is now an expert. (Hope you don't think the same of me by the way. I can't read :grin: )

Steve

Hi ,
If I recalled right there was also a mention of using a vacuum gauge. But if you happen to be quite off, you won't be able to see where is the exact advance located?. In my case, the RPM and Vacuum wasn't that bad with their method, but I was getting this hesitation.

It is much better to use the timing light, or asyou say, look at the TDC and go from that.

Theitr method is a bit too much prone to error.