• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 How much

lizardking

Hi guys and gals. So i bought a gt/cs the other year, pretty much just a shell. It has been cleaned up and put back together with new suspension and steering and a lot more new stuff. And it is actually looking good. It is a C code with the original motor and transmission. Acapulco blue with blue interior. All that i have left to do is the exhaust and headliner. Paint is decent, but has multiple chips on the drivers side. Dont know from what. It is a very clean car. I think the marti report is on here. What im pretty much asking is what do you think the car is worth? I will try to post pics today as well.
thanks

dalorzo_f

Need pics and more on the condition of the car. Using the 1-5 scale as it needs paint and only has some new parts (you don't say if the engine and trans were detailed or not) it probably in the 3-5 range (most likely a 4, or maybe a 3)

Based on this post

http://californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10722

.. and assuming a 3-4, that puts it anywhere between $12 and $6k. There is a nice looking complete driver that was just posted for 11k, IIRC as a comp. Options, location, time of year, sunspots and the phase of the moon may impact pricing....but a as C code not likely to bring much of a premium.

Post more details.

dalorzo_f

OP
OP
lizardking

lizardking

Well i decided to put it on craigslist in Los Angeles for 16k obo.
Maybe I'm crazy i have no idea.lol Overall its a nice car that needs the final touches.

dalorzo_f

More shots of engine bay, grille, undercarriage, trunk. Use better light as the glare detracts from the car, take some time taking clear and well composed pics.

Give a complete view of the car, warts and all. As you are asking a premium price disclose any issues with rust or damage... would show shots of paint prep, or describe it, as new paint red flags hidden issues under a new shiny shell.

Looks like a solid car, but IMO you will be lucky to get your price as-is.

I'd suggest you get the rear scripts on it, fix the steering wheel (it just jumps out as "not done", not hard to patch and paint/dye, a weekend job and a can of rattle), add the glass and side stripes, get the hood locks on it, and it will present a lot better. Not a lot of work there, and it will look far better. Looks a bit like a "project" now, and 16k for a project is high.

I'd also suggest to consider swapping out the aluminum radiator for stock if you are selling it as a "rare" collectable. Bolt the new on in an sell the old with the car. It will present better to those wanting original and cost not much.

A bit of prep and staging and you may get your price.

OP
OP
lizardking

lizardking

I plan to get the windshield in this week and i have the striping and the rear script as well. I have time,space, and insurance issues. I get my fastback this next week from paint and that is definitely going in the garage. I can't get insurance on the cali special if i park it outside. If i was to sell the car as is almost complete project, what do you think i can sell it for?

dalorzo_f

Hard to say, projects always being less than compete cars even if all the same parts are there.

Unfortunately if you have to sell, and can not tidy it up, the price will be less as a sale under duress.

Does the engine run? Or do it and the tans need to be redone? As noted, what is the condition of the undercarriage? More pics and info is needed to provide a estimate.

As noted a #3 or #4 car is 6-12k. If you got $12k, as-is, based on the limited info here (chipped paint, disassembled), IMO you would be doing well...