• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Is $2,500 to much?

csgt428

I have the opportunity to buy a CSGT for 2,500. It's a 2v smallblock car with a missing drivetrain. Has AC option w an automatic trans. No other options and needs alot of work. The interior is all there but needs redone. I have a 68 J code 302 and automatic that could be rebuilt and put in car...needs a new hood, fender, bumpers, quarter work, grille etc. The original Marchals are there and all fiberglass pieces also,the trunk lid needs some glass work. Is $2,500 TO MUCH TO PAY??? Thanx for any feedback.

Midnight Special

...Sounds like you'll have to redo almost every inch of it. $2,500 may indeed be too much, but it's hard to tell w/o photos. A rolling chassis (project) may be a better buy at say; $4 to $7K depending on what it would cost to do yours. Just a thought...

Hey, looks like you have a great collection going there already :)

OP
OP
C

csgt428

Not much rust, I'm on the edge of eastern Wa desert here...Need to take a closer look though...the hood is rusted out not sure why.
Yeh, I need to update my profile...have a few cars to add now. Finally got my CS on the road after 30 years off. Since I was missing the original 390 "S" code (blew it up the second week I owned the car back in 76) I built it the way I thought Shelby might if the falling out w Ford hadn't happened. 428cj w Ebock heads, PI intake, big in out toploader w posi 9" N case 31 spl axels. I put GT emblems on it since it's an actual GT along w some cobras on the fenders and a 428cj dash emb. I havn't been here much over the years but since I've finally got her back on the road I'll try and come around more...

Mosesatm

To me $2,500 seems reasonable for that car, and it would be a great platform for creating a Green Hornet!

franklinair

At today's prices/values, $2,500 seems good to me, provided I wouldn't have to get into too much structural & sheetmetal repair. I'd rotisserie that puppy.

Neil

cnassif

You're paying for the VIN number (assuming it has a qualified Marti).

If you have the time and the money, buy it. If he can't sell it that's better for me. I need parts and 1 less GT/CS makes mine more valuable :)

OP
OP
C

csgt428

No, should get a Marti I suppose...I'm not to concerned about it being the real thing...the present owner hauled it up from California many years ago and just never got it back on the road again. It would be nice to verify the particulars...I really like the color..what they call a "gold nugget" I believe. I'm getting more than a VIN. All the CSGT parts are there and most of the body repair is bolt on...I'll post some pics later if/after I buy it.
Grant

Mosesatm

No, should get a Marti I suppose...I'm not to concerned about it being the real thing...the present owner hauled it up from California many years ago and just never got it back on the road again. It would be nice to verify the particulars...I really like the color..what they call a "gold nugget" I believe. I'm getting more than a VIN. All the CSGT parts are there and most of the body repair is bolt on...I'll post some pics later if/after I buy it.
Grant

Could it be Sunlit Gold?
Can you post the data plate information for us? If the color is Gold Nugget instead of sunlit gold it should say on the data plate and a huge GT/CS mystery may be solved!

robert campbell

Grant,
I live in Bremerton.

Even if you do not buy it, I would love to see the vin number and if it still has the door plate, those numbers also. There are 2 GT/CS cars in the registry that have backgrounds of “gold nuggets” or as I also like to say “gold nugget GT/CS specials” cars. I have one of them and its vin is 8R01J123143. Built on 2 January of 1968 which pre dates the launch of the GT/CS. Paul Newitt has evidence of some cars being pre-staged for the fiberglass and scripts to be added later. The other car was built 2 days after mine. I have the Marti on both cars and neither have the GT/CS options on the list. Both are called gold nuggets.

By looking at your list, you know your Mustangs. The gold nugget was a Northwest gimmick that added paint and c stripes to black vinyl top cars with gold nugget paint. About 450 made and they even had a dash plaque with the owners name on them. But they were not GT/CS cars.

My car and the other gold nugget car are somewhat in question. Paul’s new book has some info on the earliest vin numbers. Not sure what that info will say about these two cars. This car you are looking at may shed some light. In the Marti report it says my car is sunlit gold, but calls it a gold nugget and the paint number in the report is nugget gold. My car did not have the original door tag, but all fiberglass except one piece is original Ford stuff. I stripped my car it and it is NOT sunlit gold. It is a richer “browner” color.

Please post the vin and door tag if it is there. If you don’t buy it, I will send for a Marti on it myself. I trust most of the stuff on the Marti reports, but have found things that do not add up. My car could have been a dealer conversion for all I know. Lots of mystery on these cars in the early run of production or possible prototypes. But 2 cars within 2 days of each other, both sold in Seattle, both with gold nugget paint and all the GT/CS fiberglass and the scripts..... A long standing mystery.

By the way, if this car is not rusty, I believe it is a steal!!

Rob

our special

..I paid close to a $1000.00 for Marchals to replace the originals that were on our CS. Original fiberglass has to be worth good $$$$$$. $2500.00 doesn't seem too bad.

Dave

robert campbell

Grant,
Please, please post the vin if you can get it. I am not trying to buy the car, but am very interested in its roots as it is similar to my car. It may help with a mystery about these "gold nugget" cars with the GT/CS parts or option on them.

Rob

GTCS07

You guys need to come to the east coast and see what $2,500 gets you here. A rusted to the door handle 6-cyl coupe (NON- CS!) You know your old Fords, buy it. You could part it out on Ebay and get more than that I would think.

OP
OP
C

csgt428

Bought it!

Sorry I didn't post befor but I hadn't decided whether to buy it or not. I went back and looked at it some more and got the trunk open...lots of rust. Floorboards look OK though..? Offered $1500 and he accepted yesterday. Here is the data plate info for Rob.

8R01C143062
65A Y 2Y 16B 71 2 W

It has AC, PS, and Sun X glass as options easily seen. Missing the twist locks but the brackets are there. All other GTCS stuff seems to be there including Marchals. I don't know if I'll keep it or not at this point...needs a lot of sheet metal replacement. Grant

PFSlim

Nice. Congrats. I payed 3K for mine in 2003. We did a rotissorie restoration and the car turned out great. When we brought the car home, it looked just like it did in the first picture. We ended up getting the original seats, instruments, and tail light panel. Everything else we had to find.

Good luck on your GT/CS. You will love the car when it is done.

Paul

Attachments

• Stang2.JPG
    Stang2.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Stang25.jpg
    Stang25.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Stevenson1.jpg
    Stevenson1.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 23