• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

idler arm

Doug

I am looking for an idler arm for my California Special 390GT with Power steering Power Brakes and Air. I'd like a original one if possible. Thanks Doug

OP
OP
Doug

Doug

I cannot rebuild the one on my car because it is all ready an aftermarket one. Hopefully I'll find one. Doug

OP
OP
Doug

Doug

I think that I found the idler arm that I was looking for.

During one of my 'business" travels I was talking to an associate about cars and my newly adopted CA SP 390 GT and mentioned that I was looking for some parts. My associate called his friend who said that he just throwing away a front off a 1968 390. I stopped by and guess what there it was an original idler arm. I also picked up a couple of other things.

The best part was the reasonable price. The only question I have now is how much is airport security going to mess with me bringing the parts home?

nfrntau

Doug,
They shouldn't mess with you at all. Wipe the grease off, wrap them in plastic, pack them in a thick cardboard box and then check them as baggage. I think the max weight at the moment is 50 lbs but you might want to check that number with the airline your using.
With the box they might ask you what's in it. Car parts aren't illegal contraband so you should be OK. They can tell you on the phone if there are any possible downfalls to doing this. If you wanted to go even more incognito you could find an old suitcase at a garage sale for a few bucks.
I once carried a front grill from a 70 Torino on a plane with me. I got some curious looks but noone had any problems with it.
Heavy with sorta/kinda pointy ends might be a problem for carry on.
If bringing them with you won't work you could always ship them to yourself.
Cheers
Bill

OP
OP
Doug

Doug

I went through security and was told that the idler arm was too much like a” could be" weapon. So instead of arguing I went to a baggage check-in and checked my baggage. I guess that TSA has guidelines and my flight was approaching so I did just what they asked.

I cannot wait for my next busines trip to look for more parts.