• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 importing to Canada?

mbsf1970

What taxes/fees etc are there when bringing in a car from U.S. to Canada.
I've brought plenty of cars from U.S. into Canada but that was for newer cars (1-2 yrs old) but I have zero experience with old cars....
thanks,
Stephen

stangfan

I think your best bet would be to ask around locally. Either the provincial motor vehicle branch or the federal government would have this information.

karolscali

In 2006, brought one back thru Sumas, I had to pay gst on purchase price, and a/c tax if the car had it on there or not, you have to wait 72 hours to bring it back and send paper work to border you are crossing. And be prepared to be hassled by border security.

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Did some reasearch while waiting for replies here.

Appears its the same process as importing a newer car except that any vehicle older than 15 years is NOT subject to the "registry of imported vehicles" program.
So in essence it appears as though the following apply:

1) Get paperwork to border 72 hours before planned crossing (into Canada)
2) arrive at border with car and stop on U.S. side to get "export" stamp on title
3) Declare car on Canadian side and pay GST on sale price
4) Pay AC tax if so equipped on car
Bring car into Canada and go through process of out of province inspection so car can be licensed.

If anyone knows if this is correct or if I have any of this wrong, please advise. thanks,
Stephen

Northern Pony

Stephen;
Sounds like you have it all.
Advice; on the US side be patient, and they will eventually wait on you. Try to avoid crossing on a week end, been there, done that.
BoB