• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Is it a sin?

Ruppstang

...If we were in 1970 or '80 instead of 2010, I'd say "do it", but it seems the appreciation of these cars (these days) is more with with their originality (returning nostalgia).

My son, upon rebuilding his '68 coupe wanted to "teenage" it all up with stripes, scoop, wheels, headers, chrome this & that.... all the stuff the other kids say are "cool", but since our gathering in October and meeting the finest in the business, he thankfully had a change in heart. (Thanks to Neil, Ron, Cory, Steve, Scott, Mike, the Powells etc... Uh, Rob wasn't much help tho ;-) just kidding...

Boy Tim he did not stand a chance against that crew. I like the way you work! Marty

Mosesatm

...No, that car was originally a C-code, sunlit gold w/ black stripe. It's now a 302 4v, 4-speed. I bought it that way in '05 with no intention to return it to factory spec. as it is among the favorites (however incorrect). I don't believe gold stripes were ever "factory", but some say they were offered by dealers. I have never been able to confirm this...

I agree with Rob too, that value can lie in the difference if it's performed tastefully.

That's a beautiful car. I looked at it a few years ago. Does the odometer still run backwards?

CougarCJ

I would agree with the 'stay with a Ford available color' consensus.

Staying true to the paint code also has its problems. Many times the metallic colors have too much 'metallic'. Modern paints tend to be more vibrant too. They have a wet surface look, and are more shiny than vintage 1968 paint.
Just my opinion.

OP
OP
Minnesota_Mustang_Nutt

Minnesota_Mustang_Nutt

I think that once spring and summer rolls around, I will give it a good buffing. It doesnt look like its had one at all. Maybe it will look different to me all polished up. Sucks living in Minnesota. Always have to wait until spring to play with my toys. :cry:
Thanks to all for your opinions and input.

Scott

ditto to Neil on the difficulty to change colours properly - can't be stressed enough how much work that would take...

My marti says acapulco blue but it is candy apple red on door tag and everywhere is candy apple red so I thought it must just be a mistake. I found one small area of blue on the rear quarter while doing some repairs. When I think about how much work it would've taken to get rid of all the blue to pretend it was originally red it makes my head spin!

I too am a mortal and don't fuss too much with originality. As long as it looks like it could've before the oil crisis I love it! Nothing worse than a boot in a different colour than the body though. (the boot is in the trunk)

rvrtrash

OK, I'll chime in too. I'm kind of a purist, however I have changed a car's color before, and probably will again someday. Some colors are just so hideous to me I wouldn't want to be seen driving the damn thing. If it's not my favorite color but I can live with it, it stays factory. I've had them grow on me. If I feel like spraying it with rattle can primer every time I look at it, guess what. It gets something different. You want to do it right, painting under the hood, trunk, door jams, etc. but do whatever you're going to be happy with. (Sorry Tim, don't tell TJ, but I'm more like brother Rob than I care to admit)

Steve

robert campbell

Sorry Donna..... Val's 67 Fastback was lime gold..... Thank's brother Steve..... Val wanted black!!

Rob

Midnight Special

Ruppstang; Boy Tim he did not stand a chance against that crew. I like the way you work! Marty[/QUOTE said:
...Indeed Marty. I think TJ is entering that "dad's a dummy" phase kids go through until they're about 25, so I need all the help I can get. At least I'm hoping that's all it is!

JohnnyQuest515

Personally, Brittany Blue is the best color out there. What about a fresh coat of that, maybe your looking at oxidized and old/wear paint?

No need to go to confessional just yet, paint it Brittany Blue!

Randy

hookedtrout

I'll throw my vote on the side of doing what makes you feel the best behind the seat if you plan to keep and drive it. I could paint mine any color under the sun and 95% of the people that see it wouldn't have a clue if it was an original 68 Mustang color or not.

If you plan to sell it as an investment or show it in high quality shows and want to win do what retains the highest value and maintains the most original integrity.

My vote for the best looking color out there is Presidential Blue, only seen one and it is awesome, prior to seeing the photos I didn't even know there was such a thing. I'd be tempted to paint mine that color when the time comes.

OP
OP
Minnesota_Mustang_Nutt

Minnesota_Mustang_Nutt

I have no plans to ever sell it. Unless something very tragic were to happen. Someone had mentioned that if I do paint it, to keep the color a Mustang color. I was trying to think of a Mustang color that you do not see very much. Then I thought, Grabber Orange Metallic, and keep the black stripes. Ithink that would look kick ass on this car. :icon_ecst
Opinions, thoughts on the color?

hookedtrout

I saw pictures of CS clone convertible, I think it was orange with white interior and a white top and it was beautiful. Might have been white with orange interior, can't remember for sure. It was called the Okie Special, I'm sure some of you guys remember it. Anyone have a picture?

Mustanglvr

I have no plans to ever sell it. Unless something very tragic were to happen. Someone had mentioned that if I do paint it, to keep the color a Mustang color. I was trying to think of a Mustang color that you do not see very much. Then I thought, Grabber Orange Metallic, and keep the black stripes. Ithink that would look kick ass on this car. :icon_ecst

Maybe a 1968 Mustang color? :smile:
1968_mustang_colors.jpg

Last edited:

joedls

I say, Go For It!!!!. I think that would look great, but I think you might give some of the people here a heart attack. Arlie is probably making an appointment with his shrink, as we speak.

Mosesatm

Uh, no.:frust::frust::frust:, but port holes might look good.:wink:

Attachments

• With.jpg
    With.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Mosesatm

I saw pictures of CS clone convertible, I think it was orange with white interior and a white top and it was beautiful. Might have been white with orange interior, can't remember for sure. It was called the Okie Special, I'm sure some of you guys remember it. Anyone have a picture?

Paint it orange and people will mistake it for a Camaro, and that is the ultimate Ford owner insult.

Here is the Okie Special.

Attachments

• 1996 March Must Ill P25 Small.jpg
    1996 March Must Ill P25 Small.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 35