• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Lee Grey -- Father of the GT/CS. Interview Questions?

P

PNewitt

I've had the extreme pleasure yesterday, of finding two very important men that made the GT/CS Mustang project happen!!!

Lee Grey is the father of the GT/CS. Back in 1968, he was the Sales District Manager for the Los Angeles District. He was assigned to the L.A. District from his exceptional sales experience (especially with the Mustang) in Ohio during 1965-66. It was Lee that saw Little Red (GT-500 experimental coupe), and met with Iaccoca to have it made into the "California Mustang". Lee is the gentleman in the photos of the "grand opening" evening event on Feb 15th, 1968 at the L.A. Hyatt in Century City, in my 1989 book.

Robert Roat is retired from a top position at JWT (J. Walter Thompson ) advertising Agency. He worked at the San Francisco office for about 30 years. He was responsible for the GT/CS advertising campaign (Funded by FDAF--the Ford Dealer's Advertising Fund)which included the CS TV commercials, radio spot, and the print ads, brochure, postcard, etc.

I recently came across a relative of Robert Roat, that has provided me with a way to contact them. Lee is about 85, and Robert is about 91 today. I plan to take them to dinner, and ask them many questions.

What I would like to know, is what would you like to ask them? I already have several questions detailing the long-known gaps in the GT/CS Story, but perhaps you have something that might add to my interviews.

Anything would be appreciated.

I'm also going to try and get them to attend the Galpin Ford GT/CS 40th Anniversary Event in L.A., on April 19th (more on that later). I can already see owners asking Lee to sign their glove boxes!!

Thanks!

Paul N.

obwan93001

Amazing find Paul!

That is great that you've found Lee and Robert and it would be a true honor to have them attend the Galpin event, would love to meet them.

I don't have any questions at the moment but if I do I'll post back here.

Good job locating those two GT/CS VIPs! :thumb:

Oscar

J.Bart

it might be interesting to hear if there was any resistance to the initial idea.
the old: no ones going to buy that. how hard did Mr. Grey and Mr. Roat have to push or sell the idea, or if everyone thought it was a great idea

clubpro

Great Job Paul!

What happened to the car in the original commercial and print add? Wish that I could join you for dinner...

Keep up the good work.

Cheers!

Ron

Diesel Donna

Are either of them married? :rofl:

Oh stop it, have a sense of humor you guys! :grin: