• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Missing console??

hcsstang

I used the ice pick to punch holes in the floor board. No drilling. I couldn't locate the orginal holes due to the fact I replaced the underlayment so I punched new holes.

hookedtrout

[quote author=hcsstang link=board=1;threadid=1724;start=15#msg10938 date=1117159491]
I used the ice pick to punch holes in the floor board. No drilling. I couldn't locate the orginal holes due to the fact I replaced the underlayment so I punched new holes.
[/quote]

Another option is to place the item where it goes and mark the holes with some type of marker on the carpet then take a box cutter knife or sharp knife and cut a 1/2 inch by 1/2 cross where you are going to drill and it will be less likely that it will catch the bit. My fly fishing partner in crime owns a carpet laying business so I learn all this stuff when he stops by and puts new carpet in my house. Nice to have for a friend. He has put new carpet in several rooms in my house for nothing. Just stops by with a roll of carpet that someone didn't like the color of when they rolled it out so he stops by and says you need new carpet in the bedroom lets stuff this in there. I don't argue, the color has always been good enough for me. ;D Free color is my favorite.

Hook

68sunlitgold

For those that wanted to know how to modify a 67 console, I attached a picture of both. You will need to cut the seatbelt cup opening on the 67 (they were set far apart verses close together for 68), just take the piece between them out. At the back near the ash tray, the circle opening needs to be cut into a square (see picture this is for the top metal attachment nuts go through the top pad). The last thing is the 2 small holes in the back of the console to attach the top pad, I suggest placing the top pad on the console to use as a guide to drill these holes, you need to remove the ash tray to get to the metal attachment brace. Everything else is the same.

Doug

Attachments

• 67-68_modifications.JPG
    67-68_modifications.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 20

68gt390

Doug;
That's great info and pictures. Will help me redo my console in my GT. Leave it to the Air Force to adapt and overcome.

Don ;) SMSgt, USAF, Retired

68gt390

[quote author=luisa2552 link=board=1;threadid=1724;start=0#msg10868 date=1117063461]
Don your car is beautiful. Can't wait until mine looks like that. I'll look into the Hump Hugger. I like that it can be pulled out easily. Here's one on ebay for a manual- Mark you might be interested. Not so great looking but maybe restorable? Sara

Sara;
Thank you for your comment on my car. Now all I have to do is get it all put back together. Had to have several floor pans replaced and just got the car back today. New carpet goes in again this weekend along with all new seats but, the Humphugger Cruiser Console will be there to. There are actually two different consoles, Humphugger (Short Version) and the Humphugger Cruiser Console (Long Version) which is what I have.

Don ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7975728942&category=33695
[/quote]

68sunlitgold

Here is another pic just to clarify some things in my first post

Doug

Attachments

• console_top_piecesa.JPG
    console_top_piecesa.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 17

68sunlitgold

Last one...here is a pic of the holes on the back...you will note they are bigger than they are suppose to be, I would assume someone tried to take the top pad off with-out knowing it was attached by the metal bracket.

Doug

Attachments

• console4a.jpg
    console4a.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 22

meadowsdk28

[quote author=68gt390 link=board=1;threadid=1724;start=15#msg11004 date=1117250425]
Doug;
That's great info and pictures. Will help me redo my console in my GT. Leave it to the Air Force to adapt and overcome.

Don ;) SMSgt, USAF, Retired
[/quote]

Yeah right!! He's probably in the Army as some liason to keep you fly-boys straight! :D

Doug SFC, Army, Retired

By the way Doug, thanks for the pictures, I will use them!

inves

Has anyone had any luck getting the vinyl replaced on the top pad of a 68' console. My console is in good shape except for the vinyl toppad, any suggestions? Another question, are the '67 and '69 a.m. radios the same as the '68 a.m. radio and will they fit in the sonsole with the longer nobs?