• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Mounting Tab on Dipstick Tube?

miller511

Hey all,

I have some questions about the thing that looks like a mounting tab on the dipstick tube on the 289/302 engines.

Is it supposed to just hang out there (like mine) and not connect to anything?

It just doesn't look right.

Does anyone know?

Maybe these dipstick tubes are used on more than just the 289/302 motors?

Here's a pic from my gallery-

http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=972

Thanks, Jeff

Midnight Special

joedls said:
If I remember correctly, it should be attached with the alternator bolt.

Jeff, you may want to consider attaching it to something given your present configuration. I had one that became loose with time & became a source of leakage where it fed into the block. I had to remove & re-seal it...

6t8-390gt

The tube pictured is incorrect for 1968. The correct tube for the 289/302 is part# C8AZ-6754-A and attaches to the head below the thermostat housing. The attaching bracket is just under 2". I think they are reproducing the correct tube.

The tube pictured may be correct for earlier 289 applications.

Mosesatm

Here is a picture of how my dipstick is mounted but I don't think my engine is out of a '68. Back where the VIN is supposed to be stamped on the flat spot behind the intake there is no flat spot. That area is recessed so it's probably not a '68 289.

Last edited: