• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Multiple CS/GT Questions

FirefoxGT

Greetings and Happy Easter,

I have a '08 Candy Apple Red (JV) CS/GT that I am in the process of
adding several '68 features to.

I am considering painting the standard '08 hood scoop matte-black and possibly adding the 428 CJ matte-black hood-stripe. However, I can't find good photos of a 1968 428CJ CS/GT, especially the hood and hood scoop areas and would LOVE any photos available. How wide is the single 428CJ stripe down the middle of the hood?

Secondly, I am looking for the hood lock measurements from the front/side
of the hood. How far back and over were the hood locks installed?

Has anyone seen new mustangs with the long 68' style CS/GT rear brake lights? Here is an image from another forum.

Finally, here are a few pics of my car.

Paul S.
St. Louis, MO

Attachments

• shelby.jpg
    shelby.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Mustang 0308 024.jpg
    Mustang 0308 024.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Mustang 0308 020.jpg
    Mustang 0308 020.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 44
  • side1_jpg.jpg
    side1_jpg.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
P

PNewitt

What is a CS/GT?

Oh, Arlie, that is so rude. This is a new person, give them a break (we tend to cringe at the CS/GT name here...sorry).

Hi Paul S. ....excuse that, and welcome!

The Cobra Jet hood stripe is 17" wide--the same width all the way down. You can use an after market CJ hood scoop make just late models; I just saw one in an issue of 5.0 magazine...

Ues what is called 'low gloss black" to paint the stripe. Ditzler #9295. OR--you can have a custom made stripe out of vinyl.

It's your call on where to put the hood locks, because since they are different Mustangs, where the best place to put them will be different. However, The '68 Hood Locks were about 5" (from hood edge to hole centerline) from the side edge of the hood. How far back from the front is up to you to eyeball--to match what is on the '68.

Good Luck with your ideas.

And welcome!

Paul N.

P

PNewitt

Paul S....

Also--where did you find those incredibly cool photos of the Cougar-T-bird taillights on a late model?? I love that!

thanks--

Paul N.

Mosesatm

Oh, Arlie, that is so rude. This is a new person, give them a break (we tend to cringe at the CS/GT name here...sorry).

The Cobra Jet hood stripe is 17" wide--the same width all the way down. You can use an after market CJ hood scoop make just late models; I just saw one in an issue of 5.0 magazine...

Ues what is called 'low gloss black" to paint the stripe. Ditzler #9295. OR--you can have a custom made stripe out of vinyl.

It's your call on where to put the hood locks, because since they are different Mustangs, where the best place to put them will be different. However, The '68 Hood Locks were about 5" (from hood edge to hole centerline) from the side edge of the hood. How far back from the front is up to you to eyeball--to match what is on the '68.

And welcome!

Paul N.

Don't start with me, Paul.

P

PNewitt

Don't start with me, Paul.

I'll start with you, or anyone else I'll damn well please!!

People come in here--for the first time, and they don't need to be greeted with some obnoxious silly sarcasm. Paul asked a legitimate question, and was greeted with something that if it was my first time, I'd be really put off.

More than one person has left these boards, because of smartass comments and indifference, or infighting or whatever else. The late model folks, especially may not feel the most welcome, because of the dominance from the '68 crowd. This is something I'm personally trying to balance out, and make them feel welcome. Your comment, although minor, was uncool.

I'm not about to cater to the whims of you or anyone else who likes to make off the cuff comments and not be responsible about it.

My intent here is to help people and have a good time, not piss around with stupid, petty B.S. I call it like I see it. That doesn't mean that I want to dominate the boards...(hell no!!), but to at least greet new people properly and respectfully.

Paul N.

(Paul S, sorry you had to see this...cover your eyes...LOL)

GTCSMustang

The paint stripe on 1968 CJ Mustang hoods (CS or other) is 15 1/8 wide at the front and 17 3/8 wide at the cowl. This is confirmed by my original paint HCS. Here is a page out of Mustang Monthly that confirms the numbers on my actual factory painted hood. Hope this helps.

Scott

Attachments

• Hood Stripe1.jpg
    Hood Stripe1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
F

FirefoxGT

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the link to the pictures and the information on the
428CJ stripe. I plan on putting a supercharger on my 08' GT/CS in the future and I think the CJ stripe would look great.

This is my third Mustang GT, I had an 87 5.0 5-speed hard top, very fast, and a 5.0 5-speed convertible, very slow. My wife had a Candy Apple Red 1968 GT/CS when she lived in Oregon. The car was stolen on a rainy night, imagine that in Oregon, and the car was wrapped around a tree. So this new GT/CS is our way to merge our love for Mustangs.

Someday we will probably invest in another 1968 Mustang GT/CS, but it would have to be a 4-speed and I have not found too many manual transmissions for sale.

Thanks again,

Paul S.
St. Louis, MO

Mosesatm

Thanks to everyone for the link to the pictures and the information on the
428CJ stripe. I plan on putting a supercharger on my 08' GT/CS in the future and I think the CJ stripe would look great.

This is my third Mustang GT, I had an 87 5.0 5-speed hard top, very fast, and a 5.0 5-speed convertible, very slow. My wife had a Candy Apple Red 1968 GT/CS when she lived in Oregon. The car was stolen on a rainy night, imagine that in Oregon, and the car was wrapped around a tree. So this new GT/CS is our way to merge our love for Mustangs.

Someday we will probably invest in another 1968 Mustang GT/CS, but it would have to be a 4-speed and I have not found too many manual transmissions for sale.

Thanks again,

Paul S.
St. Louis, MO

This looks like a topic for Supercharger Joe!!!

spoiler

And welcome!

Paul N.

Pual as a recent new comer to the site I beleive what you said needs to be said .When some one comes with questions they deserve answers not a smart@@$ comment.Paul keep up the good work!

68gt390

Welcome to the site Paul. I to like the T-Bird taillights on the late model. That's something Ford should have done from the start with the new GT/CS IMO.

Don

nates68

Hi Paul S , Those Tail Lights Look Great On The Late Model.how Did They Do That? Also Welcome To Our Site.

Nates68

hotrodgrany

I am considering painting the standard '08 hood scoop matte-black and possibly adding the 428 CJ matte-black hood-stripe. However, I can't find good photos of a 1968 428CJ CS/GT, especially the hood and hood scoop areas and would LOVE any photos available. How wide is the single 428CJ stripe down the middle of the hood?

Has anyone seen new mustangs with the long 68' style CS/GT rear brake lights? Here is an image from another forum.

Paul S.
St. Louis, MO

i just want to say you are so welcome here, from another new generation GT/CS and I am glad to see what you want for your new one. Just love these California Specials, weather it older model or our new ones.

Mosesatm

Paul S.
St. Louis, MO

Someone on this site installed '68 style hood pins on a late model California Special and they looked fantastic. Does anyone remember who that was or what the thread was called?

Found it, found it, found it! They are actually '71 - '73 hood locks.
http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3681&highlight=hood+locks

Last edited:

aemoo28

I've been wondering about adding hood locks when I add the Roush supercharger, which isn't out yet for 2008 yet, but soon! It's $6K but adds up to 500hp- and I appreciate all of this info! AND I think Ford should've used the T-bird lights and the ducktail spoiler on our late models so we'd look more like the original GT/CS. Refer to my 'having a cow' post about the new Twister back end...

With the pricey investment under the hood, I'd think the locks would be a must!!!! Thank you for investigating, everyone.

BroadwayBlue

With the pricey investment under the hood, I'd think the locks would be a must!!!! Thank you for investigating, everyone.

The hood pins we're talking about are not locks are they?
They aren't going to stop someone from opening your hood.

The 68 hood pins aren't really locks. Anyone can come along and turn them and open the hood.

Are we talking a different style? I've seen the type where you can put locks on the them but I didn't think we were referring to that type.

Mosesatm

The hood pins we're talking about are not locks are they?
They aren't going to stop someone from opening your hood.

The 68 hood pins aren't really locks. Anyone can come along and turn them and open the hood.

Are we talking a different style? I've seen the type where you can put locks on the them but I didn't think we were referring to that type.

Sorry. Rich, you're correct. I used the wrong terminology. We're talking about twist pins? locks?. Anyone can open them, except they sure seem to confuse a lot of people!

Isn't there an aftermarket flat plate lock that uses an elevator key? It wouldn't look as cool as what we're talking about but it would be a lot more secure.

BroadwayBlue

Sorry. Rich, you're correct. I used the wrong terminology. We're talking about twist pins? locks?. Anyone can open them, except they sure seem to confuse a lot of people!

Isn't there an aftermarket flat plate lock that uses an elevator key? It wouldn't look as cool as what we're talking about but it would be a lot more secure.

no apology neccessary just wanted to clarify for myself and others.

Mosesatm

These use a key.

Hood Locks

Now if someone could just drill out the GT/CS hood pins and insert these locks..........