• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 need advice on a parts dealer

Nigel Hannam

Hi people, where in the USA is the best place to get parts for my GTCS resto, im gonna need lots of parts, i then have to get them to uk. Im looking for a reliable seller.

thanks

CougarCJ

Most vendors ship Internationally. I work for a Classic Mercury Cougar parts business and we ship to foreign countries daily.

Just an FYI on shipping. Large items like body panels should be shipped through a freight broker. These generally go via shipping containers, and take a bit longer than UPS or International mail. We suggest to our customers that have large items such as quarter panels or hoods to make a substantial order and 'fill the crate', because there are lots of void space in the crate.

International rates via UPS and Mail, get very expensive due to the charges being calculated by the dimensions of the parcel and or weight.

Using freight brokers is also beneficial when it comes to customs paperwork at the destination. They know their business.

dalorzo_f

National Parts Depot. hands down. Best customer service and in stock selection on the planet.

I bought a LOT of stuff from them, 4 bare metal restorations. Any time a part showed up damaged or incorrect they made it right, quickly and with no hassles. In some cases for small parts they even shipped a replacement totally free (after building a relationship).

Their shipping is Ok, not the cheapest, but for me the fact that if anything goes wrong the post sales service was worth it to me.

Have used others from time to time and no negatives, except for CJ Pony, based on their lack of service and the reply to "move the seatbelt back by cutting a new hole and welding in a new mount" when a "bolt in" replacement didn't fit. I'll never use them again. $200 worth of parts on the shelf I'm stuck with as paperweights. Cheap, but you get what you pay for... if you buy from them plan for backorders, delays and poor service if anything goes wrong.

franklinair

+1 on NPD. They seem to carry the largest inventory, and are reliable to deal with. The owner of NPD is a collector car enthusiast and supports the hobby.

Neil

dalorzo_f

Yep, I actually visited Ocala twice. It is less than an hour from family in Orlando.

Rick Schmidt, the owner of the multi-million dollar biz his dad started, dropped what he was doing and took an hour and a half to show me around his "collection" when I dropped in to say "Hi" on a Friday afternoon. Did the same for me and my sister two years later, that visit was scheduled.

Hundreds of mostly original low mile cars and trucks.... amazing sight.... Rick's very genuine and a really, really nice guy... with a collection that is out of this world.

p51

You might also consider Summit Racing for more generic parts or if you don't care about having exact reproduction parts (eg you want an Edelbrock, Holley, or even a Summit carb). Good prices, lots of vendors, reviews, fast shipping...

http://www.summitracing.com/

dalorzo_f

Summit is very good for the "non Mustang" mechanical bits like engine parts, after market suspension (Moog, etc) and other parts NPD does not carry... I've used them a number of times and have never had a problem.

6t8-390gt

Virginia Classic Mustang and NPD are my preferred venders. I use others too, but mostly Virginia Classic and NPD.

Danny