• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 New CA "black plates" - State to offer replica "retro" license plates

admin

Staff member
Administrator
New CA "black plates" - State to offer replica "retro" license plates

Not for the purists, but these "new" black plates would add a nice touch to those GT/CS's still in CA. I'm guessing they won't match the originals exactly since there probably need to meet current safety requirements like reflective characters.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm

CougarCJ

It looks like there will be a minimum 2 year long waiting time?

"Legislation introduced the California Legacy License Plate program offering vehicle owners the opportunity to purchase replicas of California license plates similar to those issued in the 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's. The program requires a minimum of 7,500 pre-paid applications prior to January 1, 2015."

Diesel Donna

I imagine there will not be a lack of signatures once the word gets out. You can even get personalized plates.

miller511

Funny, when I was going through the convoluted process of getting black plates for my blue car with the current YOM program, I thought "Why doesn't DMV just reissue/make new old plates?" Since they have the db and know what letter/number sequences are available. Finding "clear" plates on EBay was the most challenging part of the YOM process for me. Looks like they can/will have the ability to be one stop shopping for vintage plates.

Diesel Donna

I wonder if one could get a form from DMV and walk around at car shows to get those needed signatures?

sportyworty

7 digit and reflective like the new ones. YOM is a better deal if you want correct looking Black Plates. You can also do a 6 digit personal plate and have it painted but again the script would be different on the California. The new plate is not going to look authentic to a local or anyone that has had originals. Poser plate

RU_SPCL2

The California DMV has complete information on the Legacy Plate program online. To summarize some key points: 1) they will begin production of the plates once they receive 7500 applications. 2) each application requires a $50 deposit, which will be refunded if the 7500 minimum is not met within a specified timeframe. 3) if the minimum is met sooner than the deadline they will begin production at that time. 4) plate availability is expected within 9 to 12 months from the start of production. 5) they are offering three plates - yellow pre-1963 plates, 63-69 black plates, and '70s blue plates. 6) you can get either personalized or sequential numbers for the same price, but there is no provision for choosing a specific sequential number. 7) you can configure anything from 2 - 7 1/2 characters including full or half spaces. 8) all plates are reflectorized so will not be an exact match, but the fonts and colors are the same. 9) the YOM program remains unchanged so if pure is your preference it is still an option.