• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Black Plates

Mustanglvr

I have the original black 1968 license plates from my California Special. But they are Texas plates. The way it sounds is that California only had black plates then. Whats the story on these? Also my GT/CS has DSO 75 which is the Phoenix ordering district. Does anybody know how many GT/CS`s had that DSO? Thanks, Rhonda

68sunlitgold

Mustanglvr,
Texas plates in '68 where also black. They should say "Hemisfair" on the bottom. HEMISFAIR '68, held in San Antonio from April 6 through October 6, 1968, was the first officially designated international exposition in the Southwestern United States. Here is a sample of them.

Doug

Attachments

• license_20020527180027_71812.jpg
    license_20020527180027_71812.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 19

bbeatty

Kansas had black plates in 1968 as well.

IIRC, the big deal about California black plates has do with how California issues new plates. 1963 was the last time all plates had to be replaced across the board. From 1963 to 1970 the DMV issued those black and yellow plates to all cars. Since then, the plate generally stays with the car(I think) and California has never issued new plates to all cars at once. So if you have car with an original black plate, it means your car has been in California its whole life and had very few owner changes and that's a big deal to some. ::)

But what do I know, I live in Kansas. ;)

43167455-0a05-02400152-.jpg

CJ

History of the California License Plate

Basic information on 1963- present plates:

1963 was the last year a complete new plate issuance to all vehicles occured (the plates had a black background and chrome yellow characters).

1970 is the year the basic plate was changed to a blue background with yellow characters. It was also the last year any black/yellow plates were issued.

1976, year round registration started which requires a month expiration sticker afixed to the upper left hand corner of the plate.

1982 is the year when the standard plate was changed to a white background with blue characters with a sun graphic and CALIFORNIA in red block letters. It was also the last year any blue/yellow plates were issued.

1987, reflectorized plates with CALIFORNIA in red block letters were issued. The sun graphic was discontinued.

1991, only reflectorized basic plates were issued.

1993, the word CALIFORNIA was changed to red script.

1997, stickers were made with background colors that change every year and characters printed in black.
Basic plates issued from 1998 through 2000 contain the words SESQUICENTENNIAL - 150 YEARS in red block letters at the bottom of the plates.

2001, the basic plate is white with blue characters and CALIFORNIA in red script. There is no writing at the bottom of the plate.

nfrntau

My car still has the original California plates although I live in Texas. If you wanted to trade, I could use your Texas plates on my car. It would look cool rolling down the road with black plates once I finish my restoration. Here in Texas you can use older plates as long as they were for your application. I would say your plates fit the Bill
Bill

OP
OP
Mustanglvr

Mustanglvr

Sorry Bill I have been advised to keep anything that is original to my car to preserve its integrity and its value. Thanks for asking though. Rhonda

nfrntau

I would have been surprised if you had taken me up on that offer. I HAD to ask. lol
If anyone has a set they would like to part with, keep me in mind.
Happy Holidays all