• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New California Special?

hookedtrout

[quote author=rjw link=board=1;threadid=1353;start=0#msg7820 date=1106710505]
Well, I am perusing my local club's webmaster's Mustang site, and lo and behold, he is indicating that Ford is contemplating a new California Special! An interesting read. Here is the link:

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/se.htm

Richard
[/quote]

It sure is an exciting time in the Ford/Mustang world. Wish I could afford to buy all my kids a new Mustang and then teach them the finer arts of collecting and preserving. Heck I wish I could afford to buy me one. ;D

Hook

case12

This would be very cool, and would be great recognition amongst the clubs and the MCA as I have mentioned before. The people on this site should be very involved in this as it unfolds. It is great to see the GT/CS and HCS recognized for the unique breed of pony that it is. If someone else sees anything else on this, let us know. (Paul, do you have connections into FORD from your past work on your books that could tell us more?) Casey

Beau66

Fantastic Idea! If this does happen, I hope the designers are creative regarding the "special" features that the originals have. Scoops, rear lights, paint colors, stripes, etc.

Beau66

P

PNewitt

Well, since the cat is out of the bag, I can tell you all a few things...

I've been talking to a product manager/designer from FORD recently, and I'm sending copies of both of my books for background, since Dearborn has very little about this car in their files.

We're kicking around the idea of a removable hardtop for the convertible, so it's either a coupe OR a convertible (for those summer nights in Malibu!).

They are extremely interested in working with me--but we'll see, since these projects are developed, then the top brass has to OK them. Just like in '68, we need to get the west coast members of FDAF (Ford Dealers Advertiising Fund) to get on board to do this. I will also demand that these cars are identified with VINs--for authenticity, just las if it was a Shelby, etc.

It's just in an idea stage for now...

Another possibility is to wait and see what Shelby comes up for the 'stang--and do another "inspired by" treatment for a coupe/convertible for the California Market...

Definately stay tuned.....

(I'm also suggesting that they form another division like SVT, but it's 100% Mustang stuff--custom parts, accessories, collectibles, etc..)

Paul M. Newitt
GT/CS Registrar.

rvrtrash

Oh great! I've been anxiously hoping they would do the V-10 Boss 351 so I could have the old and the new and now I'm going to have to buy a new CS also. I'm going to have to work 3 jobs to afford it all, plus build a third garage. Anyone need their yard mowed? I have to admit, a removeable hardtop for the convertible would be cool, but speaking from experience, they are a pain to store- take up space and you're always afraid you'll run into it with something.
Steve

390cs68rcode

I would be interested to see what unfolds. Here is my guess on what MIGHT happen. I think Ford will wait until they have a Shelby deal either go through or not come about then they will make a firm decision on the CS. I think the CS is a "semi" Shelby and they need a new Shelby to make a "semi" new one.

I cannot say I would go out and buy one brand new but would probably buy one later down the road. I am not gung ho on new cars.

Mosesatm

If they do make a new GT/CS I'm willing to bet that the originals will finally get some notoriety and their value will increase accordingly. On the other hand, as the value of the cars increases the number and quality of clones will also increase so Mr. Newitt's and Mr. Marti's expertise will be in even greater demand. As will the expertise of all the members of this board.

P

PNewitt

Sort of an update....

I bought a toy 1/25th scale 2005 Mustang at a local car show today, and will be modifying it into a GT/CS prototype to show to Ford.

This is going to be cool.

Question: Would you prefer the original type on the side scoop--or a new, modern type (font) on the scoop (like, say, the new Ford GT) ???

Paul N.

Paul.

390cs68rcode

[quote author=PNewitt link=board=1;threadid=1353;start=0#msg8027 date=1107660791]
Sort of an update....

I bought a toy 1/25th scale 2005 Mustang at a local car show today, and will be modifying it into a GT/CS prototype to show to Ford.

This is going to be cool.

Question: Would you prefer the original type on the side scoop--or a new, modern type (font) on the scoop (like, say, the new Ford GT) ???

Paul N.

Paul.
[/quote]

original!

OP
OP
rjw

rjw

If the car is done, I believe that it has to come across boldly as the new model with perhaps some association with the past. With that said, I believe that a new font would not only be in order, but appropriate; the 2005 car itself already has the connection to the past. With what specific styling cues pertinent to the GTCS could be updated and related I personally think will be a strong enough connection without trying to "duplicate" it. So I really think the old font would be too much overkill in the retro thinking. I mean, it is not the "old" GTCS...it would be the "new" GTCS. However, a duck tail spoiler...side scoops...these are the kind of attributes that I see as needing to bridge the old to the new. Just my two cents.
Richard

P

PNewitt

I appreciate owners having some input here. I believe that enthusiasts should have a say to this design process. So, I'll ask for your responses as I develop this for my contact at Ford.

I took a few photos of a new 05 Mustang at the car show today, and "tweaked" them with my photoshop software. These taillights don't really exist, I just stretched them out.

What do you think? The rear spoiler and stripes would follow. This is just a taillight critique.

Paul N.

Attachments

• cs06lights.gif
    cs06lights.gif
    36.7 KB · Views: 13
P

PNewitt

Here is the front end, via photoshop.

What do you think? Do you like the shape and size of the fog lights?

Note that there in no horse.

Thanks--

Paul N.

Attachments

• pmngtcs06.gif
    pmngtcs06.gif
    50.7 KB · Views: 16
P

PNewitt

...about decklid spoilers.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/artman/publish/2005_MUSTANG_NEW_PRODUCTS.shtml

the first photo at the top of this webpage shows a spoiler that this company is making. I like it for the GT/CS project. This is coming together well.

I would eliminate the horse and bars on the right side of this spoiler, and add CS-type decklid stripes, just like the '68 version, but made to fit this spoiler.

I also like the dual exhaust and lower valance piece.

What do you think?

Paul N.

Mustanglvr

Hi Paul,
I think the tail lights look great but I think they are a little too tall from top to bottom. They should be shorter but not much. It would be nice to see a little chrome on the new mustangs even if its just chrome covered plastic. The side scoops should probably have a slightly sleeker design to go with the curve of the body with GT/CS lettering and striping to match. The California Special script on the back fenders should stay the same as the 68`s though. The fog lights should stay rectangular, just an updated version. They may have to be made smaller. The turn signal lights on the hood should be like the original. I think Ford should offer the GT/CS in a convertible this time. That would be cool. Also I don`t know how well this would go over but they should have the new GT/CS`s come out in all the original colors. Like the highland green and sunlit gold. I thought maybe Doug would like that idea since he loves sunlit gold so much. I wish they could come out with a special edition to honor our soldiers this year or at least before this war is over. Like a Freedom Special or something. Anyway, these are my ideas. Hope it helps.
Oh yeah, my nephew Patrick is coming home from the war tomorrow!!!! He has been stationed in Taji, Iraq for the last year. My family and I are so proud and relieved he is already back in the states safe and sound and are praying that he won`t have to go back. We are very grateful and appreciative of all our soldiers. Rhonda

390cs68rcode

the taillights are waaaaay to big! make them small like the 68's. foglights look good. rear spoiler looks good as well. hood turn signals are a must.

the California Special script MUST stay the same!!!!!!!!

case12

Paul, this is very creative. I bet the difficult part is the side scoop design? Interested in seeing your ideas on this one.

BTW, Classic Design Concepts could get wind of this and do this fairly easily with an 05 Mustang - so we may want to be careful who we share the ideas with? Especially if we want FORD to produce it.

I also disagree with the idea of a a convertible (my opinon only of course). The uniqueness of the original CS as I tell it to people is that it is the "Shelby Coupe" that never was...until FORD decided to build it. Thus, the coupe is important. Sorta the same reason FORD didnt build a "Bullitt" or "Mach" convertible, as it takes away from its history.

Just my two cents. Casey

rvrtrash

I agree the tail lights look big, but they would have to fit the original rear panel with little modification and the new ones are big so the blind people can see you stop. You'll have to go with it. Spoiler and front end look good. I know it's a deviation from original, but I still wish Ford would have used the functional twin scoop hood of the prototype. Good luck with your project.
Steve

P

PNewitt

I can appreciate the purist perspective for this "new" CS idea. However, the reason I went with the big taillights like that was because that is the way they look on the prototype concept Mustang they made in 2004. I think someone already makes the wide taillights. Aftermarket venders had an advanced look at the car to make "stuff".

As a designer, there is a narrow path between "heritage" and "new" when doing this car. All I'm doing is setting a guideline for those at Ford that may not understand what the Cs idea is all about and what it represents. Many of the designers at Ford now are under 35, and don't remember. I saw what they did with the Mach 1 last year, and I was scratching my head wondering what that was all about. This time I want a dedicated idea that may not 100% "copy" the original, but captures the same feel and excitement. But then again, all of this might be a moot point, until we see what Shelby comes up with. At least it won't be a Saleen looking car with four sets of shark gills! I really want to stay away from the Roush look, too. I want class and sophistication, and a California look.

Since there is really no "coupe" as we know it for this model (fastback and convertible only), it only gives the convertible to work with. Taking some design liberties, I think that the California image evokes the convertible idea. The only reason they never made a GT/CS convertible, is because Shelby already had one. Otherwise Ford would have easily done it in '68.

These are all ideas being tossed around. Who knows?--if they don't do it, I might just buy a 2005 and do it myself.

Paul N.

OP
OP
rjw

rjw

I love the rear spoiler and the front end design that includes your square fog lights and sans horse. I think a narrower (top to bottom) tail light would be more appealing. Definitely California Special scripts in the same place. I agree with Steve that the hood from the prototype would be a great tie-in to the our hood. As far as the drop top goes, I would love it. This time maybe they can garnish the inside dash with a California Special script or something. And then a deluxe interior like the 68's. Finally, 10 spoke wheels.
Richard