• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. New Electrical

x-codegtcs

Has anyone here replaced their old wiring harness with a new harness from a company like Painless? If so, can you rate it and recommend ease of installation, fit, etc and which brand you bought?

franklinair

Contact Randy Jacobson, harnesses@fusemail.com
He refurbishes Mustang wiring harnesses, and I've heard VERY good feedback (quality and prices).
Let him know what you have, condition, etc.

Neil

Ruppstang

It is better to spend a little on repair on you Ford harness. I have had Randy Jacobsen do some repairs and was very happy with his work. I have heard some bad reports on the painless kits. Marty

dalorzo_f

Forget repairs on old ones, it is still 40+ year old wiring. Randy does do nice work, but its still spliced/old, but fully tested for continuity.

IMO buy an Alloy Metal repro, nearly exact replacements, all the right plugs and all new wiring and modern rated insulation.

If you are adding a lot of new items, 4500W stereo, electric doorlocks, windows, doo-dads and gizmos to "modernize", then the Painless, etc can be nice as they are flexible for adding curcuits. But for a "restoration" I'd go AM without question.

Ruppstang

I guess it depends what harness you need. The AM under dash harness is $800 and originals have little wrong with them. Head light feeds and engine harnesses should be replaced as they are hardened form the heat and often damaged.
If you are building a modified car that will never be judged for authentisity then the painless may be the way to go.

dalorzo_f

I have a OEM done by Randy, but in comparing it to a AM I decided for the few hundred bucks on a major restoration to just bite the bullet as the old wiring was very stiff and brittle in many places. Yes the AM are pricey, but as high quality repros are worth it, to me.

Depends on the original, many are cut/hacked by PO's. And if its useable, why go painless, et. al?

Also, if you are replacing it the time factor of cutting/appling connectors, etc is something to consider. AM plugs right in. And if you go with AM the original FAM wiring diagrams still apply. :wink: Not true with after market add-ons.