• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

New GT/CS owner here!!

GTCSTexan

Hey y'all,

I've been on the boards looking around for quite a while, but have never introduced myself. I'm Kris and my wife and I purchased our California special in Nov '05.

I had a 68 in high school and loved it, unfortunately I had to sell it to pay for college. When I had my coupe I saw a California special at a swap meet and ever since then I knew I had to have one.

My wife and I purchased the GTCS in Shreveport, LA and brought it to Fort Worth, Texas. We have been working on it in our spare time and hope to have it on the road by the end of the year.

I don't have the VIN with me, I’m out of town at the moment, but when I get back I'll post it if anyone is interested. I have a Marti report too. From the factory it had a 289, 3-speed, power disk brakes, power steering, AC, painted Highland green with tan interior.

Since then it has been repainted red and has set for 15+ years. I know I’m going to get a lot of flack from this board, but we are putting a fuel injected 5.0 and a 5 speed in the car. We were going to leave it stock but the motor was in horrible shape and since it was not the original we decided it would be more cost effective to replace it. I always wanted to make my old mustang EFI but never had the resources to do, so we decided to convert this one.

I've got lots of pictures posted here, if you want to take a look:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2179512

Talk to y'all later
-Kris

Last edited:

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to the site Kris!

The progress pics look great. You'll really enjoy driving that 5.0 once you get it all worked out. As has been said on this site many times, it's your car so do what you want with it.

Be sure to post your Marti Report in the sticky thread at the top of the main forum.

Mustanger

Kris and Kristin,

Welcome to, as my Hawaiian friends would say, our "Ohana" (family). Looks like you're going to have a great CS when you're all done ... and when you add that blower on there, make sure all the body parts are bolted on tight ...

Mosesatm

Is that the car that was on eBay and went for around $5,000? Marchal fog lights?

I just checked and that's the same car. It's great to see that it's coming back to life!

If you ever find yourself heading down to Houston be sure to let us know. We have a number of GT/CSs here, in various stages of completion.

Last edited:

BroadwayBlue

Welcome Kris and Kristin!

Looks like things are coming along nicely!
Good Luck with the car!

As Jon said the attitude here has always been do what's right for you and in the process, enjoy every minute of it.

Mustanglvr

Hey Kris, my GT/CS is originally highland green with tan (saddle) interior too and still is. Mine is originally a T-code (6 cylinder) but has a 289 in it now. Please tell us you`re planning on changing yours back to the original colors? Arlie will have to see Dr. Von Quack if you don`t, lol.

still looking for one

Welcome to this site, you found the "source".

The 5.0 EFI engine is a real great engine, I've had Fords with a couple of them, with good care they'll run to 6 figure mileage, with no fuss, and good mpg also. With a 5 speed it'll be a lot of fun.

I hope it'll be cosmetically box stock when you're done- it's a timeless classic, no doubt about it.

Jim B.

LUVMYCS

Welcome to the "family". I am a new member also, and was welcomed here with open arms. Good luck with your project! Looks like your well on your way.

OP
OP
GTCSTexan

GTCSTexan

Mustanglvr said:
Hey Kris, my GT/CS is originally highland green with tan (saddle) interior too and still is. Mine is originally a T-code (6 cylinder) but has a 289 in it now. Please tell us you`re planning on changing yours back to the original colors? Arlie will have to see Dr. Von Quack if you don`t, lol.

Well we are debating the color, we are leaning towards black with a gunmetal GTCS stripe. I've read the discussions about the "Highland green" specials, are they more coveted that the others or is it just a popular color?

My first 68 mustang was repainted "deep forrest green" and it looked great.

Thanks again to all for your warm welcomes.

Oh, and to answer one of the questions, it will look completly stock from the outside, with the exception of the wheels.

BroadwayBlue

GTCSTexan said:
Well we are debating the color, we are leaning towards black with a gunmetal GTCS stripe. I've read the discussions about the "Highland green" specials, are they more coveted that the others or is it just a popular color?

My first 68 mustang was repainted "deep forrest green" and it looked great.

Thanks again to all for your warm welcomes.

Oh, and to answer one of the questions, it will look completly stock from the outside, with the exception of the wheels.

It depends on who you talk to :grin:

For some, including myself, Acapulco Blue is the most coveted color of course. :cool:
And Lime Gold is a distant 2nd.

Rich (owner of an original Lime Gold changed to Acapulco Blue by a previous owner :rolleyes: )

Last edited:

Mustanglvr

Its just a popular color, especially for Arlie and many other owners.

Mustanger

GTCSTexan said:
Well we are debating the color, we are leaning towards black with a gunmetal GTCS stripe ...

...Black and a custom color (gunmetal) stripe ... that could look cool, in fact, a while ago I suggested something similar (black and a silver or pewter stripe) for those who wanted a more custom look ...

Mosesatm

You may want to consider where you live, how you will use the car, and if it has air. For example, if you are going to be parking it in the mall parking lot in August a lighter color may be the way to go.

Perkchiro

Hummm, black with a gunmetal grey stripe. I like it but. . . . . . . . we may need to schedule another appointment for Arlie with Dr. VanQuack!

OP
OP
GTCSTexan

GTCSTexan

Yeah, black car in TX is not the smartest thing to do, but dark green wouldnt be much better, the way i see it. The car will have AC, that or auto-pilot to the ER for heat exhaustion!! We plan to dive it everywhere when we get it finished.

Sorry Arlie!! :)

Mosesatm

White with black stripes is a mean looking combination, check out Joe's car. Gulfstream Aqua is a nice color but I'm betting it's also a serious a speeding ticket color. Kind of like an arrest-me-yellow Ferrari!!

Last edited: