• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 NOS A/C Compressor Question

NosAvrenim

I've been considering upgrading from the stock heater to an after-market A/C (likely from Vintage Air). The summer heat/humidity here in Northern VA is just killer with the black vinyl interior. That said, I've come across a NOS '68 A/C compressor and am now considering whether or not it would worth it to get this instead and build out the rest of the system from replacement parts.

I'm trying to stay as true to a stock look/feel as possible without going off the deep end and going for a full concours resto. Any thoughts on which way to go? Would it be worth it to go with the NOS compressor or would be more of a PITA to rebuild the entire system?

390cs68rcode

Of all the factory AC 1968 Mustangs I have had I could NEVER get the factory system to cool good enough for me. All of them I replaced EVERYTHING.

My Vintage Air systems blow ICE cold air (in my CS it gets down to the upper 30's at the vent) and when I get another 68 Mustang a VA system will go in it.

franklinair

Is the car originally a non A/C car? (Meaning it does not have the underdash evaporator & Heater/AC components) If that is the case, I'd go with the aftermarket system that looks the closest to the original interior (dash) registers.
Compressor: The new rotary units are much smoother & more efficient than the old one-lung York type compressors.
So, if you're not intending to go 'original' anyway, get the best appearing & most efficient system. A complete original system would be very hard to find, would be very expensive to purchase, and would have to be completely gone through. AND - they are a genuine PITA to install. (Ask me how I know!)
As for the original/factory A/C systems, they can be made as efficient as blowing 32 degree air (even with the old single piston compressor), but everything has to be perfect. The '68 Mustang I drove in Miami (95+ degrees & 95% humidity) would blow @ 32 degrees in traffic. It was a black car w/black interior. But I had worked in my Dad's garage business and had learned a few tricks of the trade.
In your case, I would recommend the aftermarket system with a rotary compressor and R-134 freon.

Neil