• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Oil Gauge Question

BigJim

My car has the oil gauge built into the left side of the dash. Regardless of the engine rpms or load the needle just sits in the center of the gauge and does not move while the engine runs. Is something wrong with the oil gauge on my GT/CS or is this the proper behavior of the oil gauge? If this is how its supposed to work how is the gauge any better then an idiot light?

rvrtrash

It shouldn't just sit there, so you either have a gauge, wiring, power or sender problem. Disconnect the wire from the sender (on a piece of hex pipe by oil filter), stick a small screw in the connector and ground it to the engine or body somewhere. Turn on the key without starting the engine and see if the gauge moves. If it does, bad sender. If not, you'll need to pull the dash cluster and check for continuity on the wire, through the gauge and for power to the gauge.

Steve

Ruppstang

It shouldn't just sit there, so you either have a gauge, wiring, power or sender problem. Disconnect the wire from the sender (on a piece of hex pipe by oil filter), stick a small screw in the connector and ground it to the engine or body somewhere. Turn on the key without starting the engine and see if the gauge moves. If it does, bad sender. If not, you'll need to pull the dash cluster and check for continuity on the wire, through the gauge and for power to the gauge.

Steve

+1 Marty

OP
OP
BigJim

BigJim

Thanks. Guess I know what I need to do this weekend.

franklinair

If the pointer goes to mid scale, wouldn't that indicate the presence of power from the IVR, and a partial ground from the sender?
I'd be more suspicious of a sludged-up sluggish sending unit.

Neil