• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Ok, time for new tires, what style... vote here

which style?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dalorzo_f

White GT/CS, balck vinyl top, black std interior, Plain Jane 289/C4, Magnum 500s, 14". Driver condition.

Debating whitewalls (on it now), raised white letter (BFG TA), and blackwalls...

exp_500_0002.jpg

franklinair

I prefer RWL (BFG-TA) and that was my vote. But do you prefer original configuration? What does the Marti say was on the car originally?

Neil

Attachments

• My Pictures 048.jpg
    My Pictures 048.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 28

robert campbell

15 inch Crager SS. You can order them for 10 bucks more over the Summit Racing price with any backspacing you want!! The ones on my GNS are set back even as far as you can go on both ends. If you want a better pic of my white car and wheel prices let me know! The back ones are 8 inches wide and have the max backset you can do on a stock set up. Lets you run the biggest tire you can without jacking it up like a 4 wheel drive. My cars are all lowered. The black Fastback is as low as you can go on stock suspension!!

By the way, the ride height is something you have to decide on.

Blackwall or RWL! Can't go wrong!

DSCN9311.jpg

DSCN7812.jpg

joedls

If you keep the wheels that are in your pic, I'd use the whitewalls, but since you said you were going to use Magnum 500s, I chose the RWL.

OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

I don't think a C code qualifies as "Muscle".... :wink: That was the car at pick-up, put a set of Magnum 500's I had on it as the chrome on those rims is kinda iffy...

This is the current look...

CIMG0424Medium.jpg

Last edited:

teamlo

I am a big fan of the "pinstripe" white wall tire when mated to the '68 styled steel wheel, as my car was originally equipped with. Unfortunately I do not know of anyone producing a radial version of the Firestone Wide Oval white wall. Right now I am running 14" styled steel wheels with BFG Radial T/As, white letters out. Thinking hard about a set of 15" Shelby 10-spokes, with BFGs again.

Terry

joedls

I don't think a C code qualifies as "Muscle".... :wink: That was the car at pick-up, put a set of Magnum 500's I had on it as the chrome on those rims is kinda iffy...

This is the current look...

CIMG0424Medium.jpg

I'd definitely put RWL on those wheels.

robert campbell

+1 on the RWL tires. Brett sent me a private message, but I want to post the Crager SS stuff on the forum.

My back Cragers are 15 X 8 uni-lugs with 5.25 back space. I am running a BF Goodrich drag radial P235 X 60 at 25 inches tall. Center of rear fender lip is 26 inches high from the road.

My front Cragers are 15 X 7 uni-ligs with 4.25 back space. Running a BF Goodrich Radial T/A P205 X 60 at 24 inches tall. Center of front fender lip is 24 inches high from the road.

I am confident that I could run a P255 X 60 on the back. I would have one on it, but they did not make that size. P275 is to large.

This car is low and the tires rub no-where, no-how no-time! No matter how many people The only thing I hate more than an exhaust leak is rubbing tires. This rear wheel puts the tire as close to the inner fender and leaf spring as possible. I spent a lot of time measuring to get as big a tire on the back as possible.

One interesting thing is they are identical on the front side as far as depth back to front.

Now the good part. You can special order these through Summit Racing and they are only 10 bucks more than a stock offset. The front wheel is CRR-61715 special order at $151.95 a wheel. The rear wheel is CRR-61815 special order at $159.95 a wheel. And this only takes a week more than normal to get!

Try to beat those prices on a brand new wheel! Again, ride height is the deal buster. I have seen bigger tires on a GT/CS or HCS, but the cars stance is very high IMO.

Rob

joedls

These pics are all with a custom 15 X 8 American Racing Wheel on the rear. I believe they are 5.25" backspacing, too, but I don't exactly remember. I know I measured and got the most backspacing I could fit. I have 275/60-15s on them. Never had any rubbing problems, but I had just replaced the leafsprings with GT, mid-eye springs. I wouldn't recommend this much tire for everyone, but it was what I was looking for and it helped with my traction problems at the time.

GTCSindesert.jpg

P1000606.jpg

P1000983.jpg

At least no rubbing problems until this happened.

crash.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dalorzo_f

Not interested in bigger or fatter, I see no need for anything over a 205 on a c code... and no sense replacing the 14" Magnum's as they look good to me...

IMO on the 68 and earlier I find a 225 about the widest tire that looks good.. even that's a bit much, and while I'd go 15's if I needed new rims, anything larger just looks out of place on them too...

nfrntau

Tire height and width not withstanding, I cast my vote for either black wall (my personal preferrence) or raised white letter.
I don't like the white wall on a white car.