• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

One of our pony's weak points

1fb1gtcs

Hi there everyone! Well my gt/cs needs help and I was wondering if anyone had info on fixing the crack in my car's right side shock tower. My fastback looks like it had the same problem once because it has a thick piece of steel welded onto the tower and it looks horrible under the hood because of it. I don't really mind on that car because it's a driver and it's been modded already but my cs I want to keep original. So what's the "correct" way of fixing this so it looks original and doesn't have loads of extra metal around it? Can the towers actually be replaced and if so what does it normally cost? Thanks for any info everyone, this site is very helpful and you all have been awesome with sharing your knowledge about these cars. ;)

P

PNewitt

My car has the same problem. These cracks happen off the upper control arm holes, or at the point where it makes the bend near the top.

I had mine welded up on the spot, and I ground them down. I've seen some in real bad shape, tho, beyond fixing. Some company makes replacement parts to weld in, and you might need to find a junker to part out the towers...

I'm sure someone knows the details on how to really fix this. if there is little rust, you can weld it--as long as the cracks haven't compromised the frame alignment. You may need to go to a frame shop. BTW--the measurements of the frame are in the FORD '68 Mustang (Cougar, etc.) Shop Manual, in the back of the book.

You may want to add an export brace, too.

Paul N.