• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 opinions/suggestions

mbsf1970

Had the car out for first time since November arrival. It was unseasonably warm yesterday (55F or so +13C) so I fired her up, drove around neighborhood and then washed her in my driveway before putting her back to bed in her hibernating garage.

Couple questions:
1) do you think it would look better with a vinyl roof? Affect value?
2) Any name ideas for it before my daughter nicknames it "Doug II"
3) may be looking for a new grille sometime in future as mine appears to be off a '67 Mustang. how much should i be looking to pay for a good used one? assuming they can be found...

Stephen

somethingspecial

Before you go scrapping your grille, post some pictures of it. The original GT/CS Grilles were made from 67' grilles. Open the hood before you take pics of the grille. Hate to see you swap out an original grille for a repop that looks the same.

Ruppstang

It looks great without the top. It would look good with one too but they are more to keep looking good.

CougarCJ

I am against adding a vinyl top.

What was Doug the 1st?

How about Kally? or Callie ?

Last edited:

dalorzo_f

The vinyl top will set off the black stripe, and you could add hood stripes, I am on my Wimbledon White (but it had the vinyl top from the factory).

Kinda a "what's the best color" question. Personal opinon.

If you do add one, it is a bit of work;

Remove/replace front and rear windows
Drilling for the lower edge trims
Putting on the trims almost requires removal of the headliner, so a new one.

Not huge, but not just a "glue it on" task.

karolscali

vinylroof

Take it from someone who has a vinyl roof. mine car came factory with vinyl roof. I had it replaced, when I restored it. but putting those drip rails back on were a bitch. if you do keep the originals if you can the aftermarket ones are cheap. But a black vinyl looks awesome!!!!

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

I value originality BUT a black roof would really set this car off I think. I also want to replace all the mouldings around the windows and trunk since the existing ones are all cracked and have overspray on them.
Stephen

franklinair

Stephen;
The mouldings around the windows & decklid are metal. If they're not bent or dinged, 0000 steel wool & polish will save you a lot of $$$.

I like vinyl tops, too. :smile:

Neil

Attachments

• Green GTCS 276.jpg
    Green GTCS 276.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 35
  • Green GTCS 056.jpg
    Green GTCS 056.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Hey Neil,

Found some info in my center console Saturday. Thanks for that! also, did you get an envelope from me in the mail??

Stephen

dalorzo_f

+1 on the polishing. Check my repaint thread, the pic of the rear are OEM I polished up an and hour or so. Buffing wheel, then a bit by hand. Look great.

but putting those drip rails back on were a bitch

Weird, I did two recently (replacing originals) it was one of the easiest parts for reassembly. Literally 5 mins. Start at the front, hook it over the top edge, heel of hand, tap in palce. I worked the firt 12" or so on, then checked the rear to cehck alignment, if good go, if not it pops right back off if you do jsut a short section. Once goo, jsut work along the edge, pulling it down over the top and bumping it place by hand..

One tip. If you repainted the drip rails with the body, sand them. Take it back to just a thin layer of primer at most. If it is primer, spray filler, color multilayer buildup it will be too thick and they are then a real PITA to get on. I'd recommend taping them once the first coat of etch goes on if a bare metal job, or just tape before paint if an "over the top" respray.

Mosesatm

Here's a photo of Cam's Gulfstream Aqua S-code with black stripes and a black top. I think it looks great.

Attachments

• 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 27

Mosesatm

Here are a couple photos of Ryan's J-code.

Attachments

• 2AquaCars.jpg
    2AquaCars.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Driveway.jpg
    Driveway.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 25

Mosesatm

Yeah, I took a doubletake when I saw that ad af few days ago.
The car with the black top is Ryan's and the Acapulco Blue car is the one Bryan recently restored and sold to Ryan's uncle.
Seeing two GT/CSs is a town of only 4000 people is a rare sight!