• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Original California Special "blueprints" on ebay

68sunlitgold

OP
OP
68sunlitgold

68sunlitgold

Here is my email to him:

I am a member of the "California Special" club and forum, I also own one. Mr Paul Newitt is currently producing an updated recognition guide (he did an '88 & '96 edition) on the '68 and new '07 & '08 California Specials and I think would really benefit from this info. Is there a possiblity of getting copies of them. I can even give you his email address so you can discuss this valuable info with him. Thank you for your time and consideration.

And here was his reply to my request:

Morning-I will be making copies based on the demand that this weeks postings generate. I have found that there is a lot of interest in preserving the production data from the past -and most likly will be and have been keeping copies of all the ones I have- The really long prints are posing a challenge for me but , If you would like to keep in touch-I should be making copy's this week as long as they copy well.
Thank you--Scott

Doug

case12

Great find!!

I am going to bid on all of them, and then share them to Paul. So, appreciate not being bid against (at least from this site.....unless you just want to pay more money for some reason.....we will all get the use of it from his book). Casey

case12

I have also sent him a note to offer to buy them all for Paul's book. Will let you know what the response is. Thanks, Casey

wally05

Case12... I will bid and win... I will not lose... haha j/k, go for it. That would be great to have for the book.

Korey

joedls

You might want to check with Paul about which ones he needs. I know he had alot of blueprints at the BBQ this year. Don't know if he had all of these or not.

Last edited:

case12

The owner responded that he is keeping them on ebay. So, I have bid for each one, plus the lucas light one (even though it is for Cougar). They will all go to Paul for the book. Even if he has copies of some of them, these are noted as originals. Doug made a good find, and lets hope I dont get outbid at the last minute. Thx, Casey

OP
OP
68sunlitgold

68sunlitgold

Also noted that most of the part numbers on the blueprints are different then what has been previously noted. Here is what they have of #:

Script C8ZX-65291A36-A
Rear Extentions S8ZS-6528074-A (right side)
S8ZS-6528075-A (left side)
Side Scopes S8M(Z)S-65290A78-A (right side)
S8MS-65290A79-A (left side)
the (Z) is because there seems to be 2 different Numbers on the blueprint
Lense rear light C5SB-13450-C (this is the same)
Bezel (not sure what) S8ZS-9A11Z-A
Fog Lamp (Marchal) S8ZS-15200A

Doug

OP
OP
68sunlitgold

68sunlitgold

I might not get a lot of time on the site these days, work keeps me busy, but I still try to do a quick surf of ebay every once in a while.

Doug

PS - After the New Year, I will be absent from the sight for a while, have another trip to the "big sandbox" but this time it will not be in the air but on the ground and I am commanding 200 troops.

miller511

Casey,

I would get clarification of exactly what you are bidding on. Based on these old AO Smith title blocks on these drawings, they do look legit.
Find out if the guy has the original vellum pencil drawings. If so, he may have a blue line machine. Some of you might remember (who were in drafting/engineering before the early eighties) those stinky amonia blue line machines. There was also a way to make what were called sepia prints that were essentially a "see thru" copy of the vellum (the vellum drawings are also somewhat see thru...enough for light to pass through the backside to make a blue line or sepia print) that could then be used to make blue lines.
I guess what I'm getting at is get the skinny from this guy on what exactly (what media) you are bidding on. I don't want anyone to be disappointed that you get a low quality copy of his sepia or worse a copy from a blue line). PM me if you want more history of vellum, sepia, blue line, etc.

-Jeff

case12

Jeff - Thanks! I will ask him - his listings say cepia. Either way, the pics show decent quality and look legit. His feedback is also very good. I obviously want to ask him where he got them too. Thanks, Casey

Mosesatm

He may think he has sepia but it actually may be vellum. A quick & dirty test is to see if the material tears easily. If it does it's vellum. Shouldn't matter for reproduction purposes.

case12

This is the answer I got - he seems to be a really nice guy.

"Hello Casey-I did list these as cepias and or a blue print from a cepia. They are quite old and from Ford's engineering dept. Lets say I have a friend [a retired Ford employee} that at the time saw an oppourtunity to save some history and circumvented the dumpster for a bankers box."

He so far wont end the auction and sell us the lot. So, I will try to be top bid on all of them and contribute them to Paul. As always, it is those "last second" bidding programs (I forget what those are called) that people use that could take me out. Since I am bidding for the good of the family here on the site, it wouldnt likely be one of you - and the interest in the Cal Special is mostly here on this site which would heavily limit the bidding audience. So, I am thinking my chances are high. This is some really great history for all of us - sorta like a "museum find" that needs to be shared with the world (at least our world).

BTW, my user name on eBay is the same as here - CASE12. I have 100% feedback too.

Thanks, Casey

P

PNewitt

you guys are amazing!

Hi--I just got back today. This is amazing!

I do have the "Calif. Special" script print, and I do have the one with the trim ring for the gas cap (a CS part that was never made).

I need the following (posted by Doug-thanks);

--Rear Extentions S8ZS-6528074-A (right side)
S8ZS-6528075-A (left side)

--Side Scoops S8M(Z)S-65290A78-A (right side)
S8MS-65290A79-A (left side)

--Fog Lamp (Marchal) S8ZS-15200A

and I'd like to get the Cougar XR-7 Fog Light one, since it's a Lucas Light. Note that the Lucas for the Cougar was dated June '67. That means that the Lucas lights were available and in the Shelby parts system before the CS project. More on what that means later...

If this seller is making prints (are these repro prints, or originals only?), maybe we can make a deal outside of the EBAY auction?? I did get the ones i have from Vincent Liska of SAAC. Most of these prints surfaced about 12 years ago.

But--Casey or whomever, it would be a real find if you could get them for me (but, too many bidders could be counterproductive).

Very cool!

I also just got a VERY cool GT/CS ad from Galpin Ford, dated March 1968. Wait until you see THAT!

Paul.

p.s. Doug--If you didn't get my message--the US flag you sent with cert. of it flying over Iraq was a very, very awesome gift! Thank you SO much--and thank you for your service to your country!

case12

There is still 12 hours left to go, but I am still the only bidder (edit - there have been some recent bids...not sure from where). So, having lasted 6.5 days, I am hoping my odds are good. I spoke to Paul yesterday and even the ones he already has may be different from these - so, we could glean some new insights. I look forward to sharing them with everyone here. Casey

@Holmes

Er umm looks like you stayed up late to fight off all the challengers. Good Job! I would like a copy of the CS script to frame at your earliest convience. Let me know how much. Thanks!!

case12

I did win the lot of those I bid on. I used the program Jason suggested for snipping. It worked on a few of them that others tried to snipe at the last minute (I was fast asleep). Once I get them via the mail, I will then figure out how to get to Paul (I already spoke to him about them) and to others. The gentleman who sold them also said he made copies to offer to the group. Either way, we will get these shared. Casey