• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 "Original Miles"

robert campbell

Fit of the carpet to the tunnel area looks factory. Good witness line on the side scoop. Instrument bezel looks very faded and possibly original. Wear of the carpet and seats may be original. Lots of sun OR alot of years in “some” sun. VIN number in the engine and auto would help if same as the car. If the engine is original and low mileage there will be lots of slop in the timing chain. Take the distributor cap off and use the fan to rotate one direction and then rotate the opposite. If the motor turns alot of degrees and the rotor does not move, lots of timing chain slop. You should replace the timing chain and gears. If the cam gear is still an aluminum gear with "plastic" teeth it is original. Then it is definitely a low mileage motor and if a numbers VIN match to the car it will substantiate the odometer reading.

Rob

OP
OP
E

Ersel66

Just to be clear on this thread, I am not trying to promote or even trying to sell my car. I'm just looking for ways in general to validate that the cars mileage shown is accurate.

Do the seats & carpet look vintage '68? Yes, there is some sun fading but looks much worse in these pics than true life.

cs6t.jpg

OP
OP
E

Ersel66

P.S. No rips to seats...some sagging on drivers. No real wear to carpet/rubber area by pedals

cs1y.jpg

DeadStang

I hate to be a nay-sayer, but the '69 Mach that I've been driving all summer has seats in as good of shape (the original comfort-weave) and similar pedal wear. It says 73,xxx miles, but this is on its third engine--yes third--so it surely is 173,xxx or 273,xxx even. A lot has to do with what kind of miles that were driven: commuter/few individual drivers vs. short hops to the grocery store with mulitple drivers.

You've got to think back... Compare my Magnum with the CS as new: my Magnum is a really cool car--SRT8 with 425hp, blah, blah, blah. It sits out while my heaps are indoors, is a 2006, and "only" has 26,000 miles in 3 years. In 10 years, will it only have 30-40K miles on it? Doubtful, even with my limited driving (I drive the Mustangs when it's not raining or Death Valley hot here). In comparison, when also 3 years old back in 1971, the CS was a cool car, blah, blah, blah, but back then, multiple vehicle families weren't as common as today (witness all of the 1950s houses w/single car garages)...how many miles do you think they put on it by the time it was 3? And then in 1978, it was still a cool car, but a 10-year-old cool car and it probably got driven. Again, not to be a wet blanket, but I'd guess that your car was well cared for and has 130K miles on it.

OP
OP
E

Ersel66

You make a good point DeadStang

If we agree this is the original carpet (looks like it) then there is virtually no where to this area. Good floor mat?!
cs1l.jpg

DeadStang

Good floor mats and seat covers!

My very first "brand new" car was a 1985 Honda Civic. I sure was proud of that thing!!! I immediately went out and bought cool fuzzy seat covers that matched the interior, and groovy new rubber floor mats that said HONDA on them. I didn't allow anyone to eat in the car, and--not kidding--waxed it every weekend all summer for years (no life). It went away in 1995 with 157,xxx miles (broken timing chain just short of the change interval and in very good condition otherwise).

franklinair

Without a paper trail to substantiate 32K miles, all we have is guesstimation. I once purchased an original condition car touted as "probably original low mileaage". One visual of the engine compartment told me it was the "low mileage" + 100K!! Good luck, but I'm doubtful.

Neil

OP
OP
E

Ersel66

More good points. My mechanic is looking at it on Saturday and he'll assess its condition mechanically. I guess more than anything else that is what is important vs. # of miles on the car, especially 41 years later.

rvrtrash

I think the carpet has been replaced. If I recall, there was a black rubber ring around the Hi/Low light switch. Yours looks like someone guessed at the location for the hole and missed a little. The broken kick panel would be another indication to me that someone has had it apart. I'm not sure the steering wheel would be that cracked at 30K miles either, unless it was in an accident (like mine). Not a condemnation, just observations.

Steve

Ruppstang

Ford did not use the grommets on the dimmer switch. That is a dedection in the MCA. I think you have a very nice starting point for a restoration. Because of the condition it really does not matter if it has 30K or 130K. Because of the repaint it could not be considered a unrestored car in the MCA. Thus no real extra value for the low miles. Good Luck Marty MCA 38812

GTCSMustang

32,000 or 132,000-miles, I'd still love to see some more pictures. Sounds like a nice car.

Scott

OP
OP
E

Ersel66

I didn't want to promote my car in this thread--that will come later when I sell it!! :)
But here are two more pics. What amazes me about this car is no rust and the AC blows cold!! The paint is a "20 footer"
cs2t.jpg

cs1zv.jpg

franklinair

NICE! (And a rare combo- 6Cyl with P/S & Factory A/C)
Viewing a photo from 3,000 miles away, I would bet 132,000 miles. Whether it's the original engine or not, if you were to check the bore, I would bet it's .030 over.
A good find, and a very do-able project

Neil

PS: is this the one with the tail/brake light problem?

Mustanglvr

Hey it's a T code with an automatic transmission! 1 of 47 made! It is rare to find a T code with the original engine in it. Nice looking car!

OP
OP
E

Ersel66

Yes, original T code and PS. Yes, this is the one with the brake light (dim) /turn signal lever issue. I will check the ground this weekend.

JohnnyQuest515

Stripe change sometime in its life, Marti says Red Stripe to go with its Red Interior.

Randy

**I agree on the red stripe comment**, still should be red...

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Ersel66

You can see the original red stripe (vs black) in the door jam.