• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Painting under dash & cowl areas

Tequila

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on painting the underside of the dash area (metal surface) along with the cowl area and the firewall area behind the heater box.

This area has some surface rust and I was hoping to protect it from further rust. Since it is a hard to reach area I was going to hit it with a spray paint can. Do you recommend applying any rust remover? If so how do I clean up the rust remover from this area afterwards? I still have the wiper arm and other stuff in this area and I wasn't planning on taking it all out.

I've already wire brushed area pretty well. Can I just hit with POR15 type rust encapsulating paint? Are there any longer term consequences to applying POR15 type of paint?

Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dalorzo_f

On the two cars I haev gone this far on I wire brushed, then used a scothbrite pad dipped in good quality rust converter. Immediately wipe dry, prep per directions of converter and paint.

Personally I've gone away from POR 15 for anything but exhusts and cast iron (brake drums and manifolds).

I'd just use a good quality spray can if you don't have access to a proper painter, and go with a red oxide or flat black epoxy primer.

OP
OP
T

Tequila

On the two cars I haev gone this far on I wire brushed, then used a scothbrite pad dipped in good quality rust converter. Immediately wipe dry, prep per directions of converter and paint.

Personally I've gone away from POR 15 for anything but exhusts and cast iron (brake drums and manifolds).

I'd just use a good quality spray can if you don't have access to a proper painter, and go with a red oxide or flat black epoxy primer.

Thank you. You convinced me to do it right than take the short cut. I dont know why factory left this area unpainted.