• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Photo Your Winter Fun

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

I have been derelict in posting my winter fun. Had a couple Mustangs in the shop and I have been helping a neighbor who is being evicted from a house on my street. She had a 2000 Crown Vic State Patrol car that had been dead for 2 years and a 1989 Cheby Silverado that had been dead for 4 years. Kind of people that have little money and rather than fix a car just park it on the lawn.....

Got both of them running and both were simple ignition problems. she is very thankful and charged her for parts only. 40 bucks for the vic and 100 bucks for the Cheby.

Her Dad has had the below in the garage 200 feet from me since 1980.

1933 Plymouth PC flathead in-line six. Wood spoke wheels! I pulled the plugs and soaked it with ATF. It rolls over freely now, and I powered up the starter after fixing it. 6 volt positive ground car!!! Boy is that weird. Anyway it has zero compression and my guess is all the valves are stuck in the block. ATF poured out what is left of the exhaust pipe!

Anyway, she does not have the funds to work on it yet. I told her in at least needs a valve job and the head removed. The back seat has all the gaskets to rebuild it and a set of standard bore rings..... Hmmm, they have been there since 1980 at least and the prior owner must have been planning some sort of a rebuild.

If she gets some bucks, I will get her going. These cars are so simple it is comical. If you can't fix this, time to give up!!

Rob

somethingspecial

This is one I had a few years ago. 1933 Studebaker Model 56. Six Cyl. Original paint and interior, engine. etc. Had a lot of fun with it, but ended up selling it. Regrets now. LOL

Attachments

• 101_2925.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 169
  • cameo studebaker 042.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 169
  • cameo studebaker 057.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 166
Last edited:

Ruppstang

I have been derelict in posting my winter fun. Had a couple Mustangs in the shop and I have been helping a neighbor who is being evicted from a house on my street. She had a 2000 Crown Vic State Patrol car that had been dead for 2 years and a 1989 Cheby Silverado that had been dead for 4 years. Kind of people that have little money and rather than fix a car just park it on the lawn.....

Got both of them running and both were simple ignition problems. she is very thankful and charged her for parts only. 40 bucks for the vic and 100 bucks for the Cheby.

Her Dad has had the below in the garage 200 feet from me since 1980.

1933 Plymouth PC flathead in-line six. Wood spoke wheels! I pulled the plugs and soaked it with ATF. It rolls over freely now, and I powered up the starter after fixing it. 6 volt positive ground car!!! Boy is that weird. Anyway it has zero compression and my guess is all the valves are stuck in the block. ATF poured out what is left of the exhaust pipe!

Anyway, she does not have the funds to work on it yet. I told her in at least needs a valve job and the head removed. The back seat has all the gaskets to rebuild it and a set of standard bore rings..... Hmmm, they have been there since 1980 at least and the prior owner must have been planning some sort of a rebuild.

If she gets some bucks, I will get her going. These cars are so simple it is comical. If you can't fix this, time to give up!!

Rob

Rob you are Santa with a wrench! Good on you.

My dad would love that old Plymouth.

I have some projects in my shop if you would like to stop in on your trip around the world on the 25th. The milk (beer) and cookies will be on the bench. Have you made any performance mods to the sleigh this year?
Merry Christmas
Marty

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Marty,
I think the 427 SOHC will power the sleigh ok this year!! Maybe a Coyote motor with 20 pounds of boost next year!

I am no Santa, but I do have some skills that can help people out!

I was rubbing on the drivers door of the Plymouth!! Guess what I found!!! wait for it!!!! "Franklinair"!!!!!!! Must have been one of Neil's old parts runners!!!

Rob

franklinair

FYI, Wiseguy- a '33 Plymouth coupe is a model I cut my teeth on when I was 15 years old. (And it was about a 20 year old car at the time) I do remember painting it with a paint brush & housepaint (Latex hadn't been invented yet.)
Not to worry- you're still in my will. :wink:

Dad
aka: franklinair

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Dad,
This car has your name on it!!! Very restorable. I just want to hear it run. I asked her if she wanted to sell it. She doesn't, but she does not get the effort to keep something like this running....

Why did I have a feeling that you have been around one of these!!! I do hope that she can get the funds to make it at least go forward. It would be a fun project and not that hard. Lots of parts are still available over the counter at NAPA. Amazing!

Your Son aka, wise guy Rob!!

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

I did a bunch of work to this customers car. 1966 289 auto. Pony Interior. Car had set for a year outside. Carpets were very wet. Dried it out and removed old carpet underlayment, installed new stuff, and dyed the carpets due to sun fading. Nice and dry now. Came from "Aridzona". Fixed window regulators off tracks, and adjusted them and the passenger door. Car ran like crap. Wonder why......

It has a new gas tank and by the looks in the carb we know why. Prior owner put in the tank, but did not address the carb. Also fixed interior lights, put in good used 8 inch rear end. Had my detailer go after it with a buffer. It was severely oxidized, but is a decent 20 footer now. Car runs and drives great now. It still needs lots of love. Owner now has garage!!! Yaaaayyy!

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Crofton's car paid me a visit this week for some mechanic love! The new radiator in it had a large leak in the lower tank to core seem. I actually used to recore radiators in my past. The replacement ones today are a bit thinner and not as easy to repair. We opted for an aluminum replacement and new flex fan to increase his cooling capacity a bit more for the summer. Funny how a lot of the fan "wings" that close up the opening on either side of the radiator used for small blocks have disappeared over the years. I sourced a pair and installed them also. You can see the passenger side one in the pic. In my experience these wings close off the core support gaps and force the air to travel through the radiator and not around it. Not sure where they go as they are held on with the same 4 bolts that the radiator bolts to the core support. Anyway, an easy fix.

Fixed the horns, installed a new battery and sent Crofton home with a battery tender to keep the new battery fresh. He is going to college now and the car is driven far less now.

This car is one of the nicest, sweet running, and an awesome color. Crofton is taking good care of her and it shows. We adjusted the choke a bit more and advanced the timing a "scoach". I has a nice calm fast idle and runs just great. currently it has a 180 thermostat in it, but I think with the cooling improvements we can take it up to 195 in the future. We are looking at a Borgeson conversion for the power steering and an upgrade to power disc brakes.

What a great car!!!!! Got a "Triple B" sign inside the shop now!!! Big Belly Bob and the doctor is in!!!!

Rob

Ruppstang

Well I think Santa Rob paid a visit to my shop last night. I had this 67 6cil project in the shop. When I went in this morning most of the cookies are all most gone and all of the beer is gone. Now the 6 cylinder looks like this. Boy will the trip to grand mother's house be fun today!
How does he get all that done in one night?
Merry Christmas

Attachments

• 67 sprint restoration 003.JPG
    67 sprint restoration 003.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN3880.jpg
    DSCN3880.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

From gas miser to gas guzzler in one "swell foop". Beer was cold, but it must have been the real Santa to achieve that!!!! I just drank the beer!!!

Santa got me some cool tools for the shop, but the elves are still working on a Ford logo "café table" and a stool for my shop. That way we can "bench race" in style!!!

Rob

whodat

Whodat!!! I like it!!!! Got specs of what you did??

Rob
I'll have all the specs in 2 weeks when I pick the engine up.
I know its bored .20 over
and has a Edelbrock RPM top end kit #2091 367 hp & 340 ft-lbs.
It's stroked to a 347
As for all the other internal components I will get the list later.
The only thing left to get is the carb. They are ordering and installing a new dizzy for me.

somethingspecial

photos I tried to post earlier.

Here you go Rob, This is one I had a few years ago. 1933 Studebaker Model 56. Six Cyl. Original paint and interior, engine. etc. Had a lot of fun with it, but ended up selling it. Regrets now. LOL

Thanks Jon for fixing the problem.

Attachments

• 101_2891 (1000x750).jpg
    101_2891 (1000x750).jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 101_2892 (1000x750).jpg
    101_2892 (1000x750).jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 101_2893 (1000x750).jpg
    101_2893 (1000x750).jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Mike,
Way Cool!!! I may get to work on that 1933 Plymouth this Spring. Just to make it go forward and stop.

Rob

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

My wet test mule paid another visit today. This is the car I wet test 4300 Autolite carbs on. Has a small cam, but stock dual exhaust. I wet tested one of Arlie's carbs and the one on Marty's Shelby.

Put a stop on the clutch pedal to allow it to only move to a spot even with the brake pedal. Still has plenty of throw and fully disengages the transmission. And it brings the clutch throw lower to floor for quicker shifts which you know Rob holds as a premium!!! Replaced the power steering hoses in the stock routing! Had to call Doctor Marty for the proper routing threw the hanger!! Arlie had his phone number and now I have it too!! Poor Marty!!! I can call him at all hours of the night to ask questions!!

Old pic and a video when I was chasing a mystery noise that turned out to be a loose emission plug in the number 5 exhaust port. Very nice "J " code 4 speed Fastback!! Enjoy