• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. Photo Your Winter Fun

rvrtrash

That's a really nice looking Mach you have in your shop, and I'm not even a big fan of red.

Steve

Ruppstang

The carb doc is in the house. I bet they will run great before they leave.
It looks like some of them run so well when they leave they can not help but leave rubber on the floor!
Marty

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

The carb doc is in the house. I bet they will run great before they leave.
It looks like some of them run so well when they leave they can not help but leave rubber on the floor!
Marty

Mach I is purring like a kitten today. Lots of minor tweaking to carb, timing, and new "adjustable" vacuum advance. I put in a lot more initial timing than stock and then removed some and when the vacuum advance comes in. As I got closer there was a tiny ping under a light load on a hill. A couple more degrees out of the vacuum advance and perfect. Car starts so easy it is scary. It was shaking the "shaker" scoop all over the place when it came in. You can put a near full glass of water on it now!

Rubber is from my cars!!! I just can't seem to get the throttle to tire combination just right......

Rob

Ruppstang

Rubber is from my cars!!! I just can't seem to get the throttle to tire combination just right......

Rob[/QUOTE]

I bet you will never get that one right! LOL Perhaps you could work on throttle to tire combustion ratio? But I am not the Doc!
Marty

rvrtrash

It runs in our family, big bro. Our right foot is heavier than our left and we have weak ankles. :wink:

Steve

rvrtrash

Canada CS, eh?

"Doug" is finally done, running, and ready to go home. The project grew (as most do) past just being an engine reseal, but it's all finished up and a much nicer car now. Hopefully Stephen is happy with the finished product. :grin:

Steve

Attachments

• reassemble8.jpg
    reassemble8.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 27
  • reassemble9.jpg
    reassemble9.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 33

mbsf1970

sad thing is that there is yet much room to grow in the projects department!!
great news is that I shouldn't be leaking in anyone's driveway for a while.
Doug is ready for summer cruising and hopefully many many ice cream runs!

best parts of entire 5 week process??.........Steve telling me that he fixed clock and glued high-beam horse back where it belongs (it had been poked out by a certain 11 yr old last summer -- on a trip to California)
All that work rebuilding and fixin' and I'm most excited to see clock moving! How geeky sad is that?? :thumb:

Stephen

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Nice little 66 Fastback. 289, auto car. Seldom used and had poor running issues. Older motor build and it really needs a valve job to be totally fixed.

Got the car and it was shaking all over and had numerous flat spots. Checked timing and it must have been near 22 degrees before top dead center. And it had an emission vacuum advance with just the forward hose hooked to ported vacuum. This is the second car that I have recently got with the back port not used. Back in the day people would plug the back line or just remove it to "de-smog" their cars.

What I have learned is these emission vacuum advances without the back port used will allow as much as 20 degrees of advance and it comes in near immediately. Way to fast and way to much. The car under a light load can ping extensively and even shake.

I installed an adjustable vacuum advance and shortened the curve to around 10 degrees for it alone. Spun the initial timing back to 12 degrees before TDC and adjusted the air screws. Engine purrs like a kitten under power. It has a weak cylinder on the right bank that shows up at idle, but we will address that this winter. In fact, the more the car is driven the better it seems to run. Maybe a chunk of carbon on a valve seat or a stuck/grumpy compression ring.

The use of the adjustable vacuum advance to shorten its curve couple with 10 to 12 degrees of initial advance seems to work so well on all of these basic stock V8's. I have had great luck with this set up.

Rob

somethingspecial

Great Synopsis Dr. Rob. I've read Coroner reports with less info. Do you have a sign out front saying "Dr. Robert Campbell, MD" (Mustang Doctor) LOL

Mosesatm

It sure must be nice to be retired, hanging out in the shop all day, tinkering away on cars, drinking beer, and getting paid for it!!!

Mosesatm

Yes, but for the most part I hope they stay put, because I usually get the call when they don't!

Ruppstang

Rob oh how I wish you were my neighbor. We could have some real fun.
Marty

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Marty/Mike,
Yes we would! Add Steve, Tim, Neil, and Arlie and the wrenches would fly. We could do posi track tests on the floor!!! YAAAA BAAABBBEE.

Tim's Grass Valley gathering was a great example of what happens when a bunch of 50 something's get together to vent frustrations on their tires!!

Rob

Midnight Special

Marty/Mike,
Yes we would! Add Steve, Tim, Neil, and Arlie and the wrenches would fly. We could do posi track tests on the floor!!! YAAAA BAAABBBEE.

Tim's Grass Valley gathering was a great example of what happens when a bunch of 50 something's get together to vent frustrations on their tires!!

Rob

...Too bad y'all can't make today's gathering here in GV! Running out of parking, so we're having to put them in the air! ;-)

Attachments

• 15Uad76a.jpg
    15Uad76a.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 16
  • t0.jpg
    t0.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 19
  • t9.jpg
    t9.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 22
  • _DSC0590.JPG
    _DSC0590.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 17
  • _DSC0491.JPG
    _DSC0491.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 15
  • _DSC0542.JPG
    _DSC0542.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 18
  • _DSC0628.JPG
    _DSC0628.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Midnight Special

...More highlights from our latest "over the top" Grass Valley Gathering. Renee "Ponygal" you were again as magnificent in making it an amazing success! :)

Attachments

• a19.jpg
    a19.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 20
  • pa1.JPG
    pa1.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 17
  • l6.jpg
    l6.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 17
  • w13.JPG
    w13.JPG