• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Purchasing A GT/CS

I found this website, and have found it very helpful - in addition to giving me a great insight on what to look for, it has also been fun viewing everyone's cars.

I'm 15 years old, just about to turn 16 in a couple of months and I'm purchasing a Mustang GT/CS - my dad owns a 64 vette, and a 35 ford both in perfect condition and we've decided it would be fun for me to get a car we can both tinker with.

I've found a beautiful mustang gt/cs local, and I'm going to go take a look at it in a few days. My dad is very stingy on the "original" factors so I have a few questions for you guys -

1) The owner has changed out the carburetor, and the manifold, for an edelbrock. How hard is it to replace, and about how much will it cost, for me to purchase the correct carb and manifold for the car?

2) There is factory A/C outlets, but the A/C system has been removed (for whatever reason I have no clue) - about how much is this going to run to put back in?

3) Are there any ways to be able to tell what else may not be original with the vehicle? I understand that the paint color should match the paint code - but are there other things I can look for? I heard that the marchal fog lights should be numbered: 656 - is this true?

4) Any suggestions anyone may have for me when I take a look at the vehicle, what I should be looking for, what type of questions should I ask?

Thanks a lot for your help!

-Brad

Calspecialdreamer

Brad,
Sounds like you are one lucky 16 year old! I wonder how many other folks from this site had their dad buy them a GT/CS when they were 16? Anyway, hopefully you will take care of it and treat her right!
The carb and manifold should not be hard to find on ebay, swapmeets, carb shop, or mustang web site. Expect about 400.00 to 500.00 cost. I would just put a compatable a/c kit in from a vintage a/c site (around 800.00 to 1,000.00) and have a strong system instead of the old tecumseh or york, which would be hard pressed for daily driving. You didn't mention what type engine it had, so that will determine if it is a true "GT" California Special. Any more info?

OP
OP
G

Thanks a lot for your help!

It is a 289 V8, automatic, with power steering, but no power brakes.

I'm probably looking at putting the A/C, Manifold/Carb, and a new interior kit in it - Hopefully I can do this all for around 3,000 - You sad the A/C is probably 1,000 and the carb + manifold is about that as well...and I've seen interior kits go for around that as well...should work out!

Thanks a lot!