• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

. R code Cougar

somethingspecial

Nice Article

My first car to drive was a 1964 Nova II, my first car I got from my brother was a 1965 Chevy Impala Super Sport, 396-4spd. I loved that car.(totaled in a t-bone accident) Then I got my GT/CS. I can tell you the Impala in the article was not an original 4spd. The pedals are wrong for the car. LOL. Not knowing about Cougars, I'm hoping Scott can help with this, Did any Cougars come with 4 speeds?

OP
OP
R

robert campbell

Mike,
Cougars came with 4 speeds! I was 16 in 1969 and got a job at a family owned local Texaco gas station at the bottom of the employee barrel. Worked a 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. shift on Friday and Saturday night. I was foreman in charge of the crew (me) for cleaning the bathrooms...... oh boy..... Go in and take every paper article out, and hose her down with a garden hose.

Anyway the number two guy at the station bought a brand new medium dark blue R Code Cougar. All I remember was the 428 badging, spoiler, and cool stripes on the hood. 4 speed car. I really had no idea what a car I was looking at!!! One of the baddest cars ever built in the Muscle Car era!

In the mid 70’s I converted my first Mustang (Fastback, 289, C code, auto car) to a 4 speed. Went to a local wrecking yard and what was laying there with no motor? A totaled 1969 or 1970 white R Code Cougar!! The white hood had two black stripes (3 stripes narrow, wide, narrow) from front to back around a hole in the hood interrupted with 428 CJ! It was also a 4 speed car which was gone, but all the clutch linkage for a big block was there as were the 31 spline axel's and nodular iron 3.90 4 pinion trac lock.

Looking back as we all do, the car in my faded memory was not “totaled” and fixable..... Long long gone now....

Rob

Devil

Glad you guys enjoyed my story. I posted here a few years back about the 67 CS I found in a garage. I went by recently and it is still there.

657280122_f8ac4199da_z.jpg

Here's hoping for more finds in the coming year!

Ryan Brutt
The Automotive Archaeologist
TheAutoArchaeologist@yahoo.com
www.BarnFinds.org