• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Ready to Buy

kevinb

Last year I posted a question regarding the value of a GT/CS I was thinking about buying. I'm ready to purchase the car and have had my mechanic take a quick look at it. My biggest concern was rust, but we didn't find any rust on the floor pans or frame rails, everything under the car looks look great, and the cowls drain fine. I have the "basic" marti report and the car was originally a red 289 car, but the owner believes it now has a 302 (not sure). I have not determined if it is NMO. The car has been in the same family since originally purchased by the ex-husband when he was a marine in cal. The car is now painted green and has green velvet interior. The body is a little rough, but nothing major. Sorry, that was way more background than needed, but I'm excited about the car. I would really like someone who knows these cars to take a quick look at it. I'm in Tucson, but I can take the car to Marana or Benson. Is there anyone close that can take a quick look? I can also take some pictures and post them for review, I just need to know which pictures would be of most use.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Kevin

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Any chance you could bring it up as far north as Phoenix? If so I could help you look it over if you can't find someone closer.

But also post pics. You'll be surprised what members here will pick up on. Just be prepared for some ribbing on the green velvet interior. :wink:

At a minimum the pics to take would be straight on shots from both sides, front and rear. Also, interior shots and engine bay (including hood lock latches). Detail shots of the GT/CS specific parts (ie. front grille, fog lights, hood locks, side scoops, CS script, tail lights, trunk lid) Interior of trunk (back side of tail lights and underside of trunk lid)

hookedtrout

Any chance you could bring it up as far north as Phoenix? If so I could help you look it over if you can't find someone closer.

But also post pics. You'll be surprised what members here will pick up on. Just be prepared for some ribbing on the green velvet interior. :wink:

At a minimum the pics to take would be straight on shots from both sides, front and rear. Also, interior shots and engine bay (including hood lock latches). Detail shots of the GT/CS specific parts (ie. front grille, fog lights, hood locks, side scoops, CS script, tail lights, trunk lid) Interior of trunk (back side of tail lights and underside of trunk lid)

Thank God for digital cameras. ;-)

OP
OP
K

kevinb

Jon-

Thanks for the reply. Phoenix would be a bit of a stretch, the car is drivable, but it has been sitting for MANY years and the carb needs some serious work. I get the car tomorrow for the weekend to make my decision on buying the car, so friday I can post several pictures. I just want to make sure the car is worth the $6,000 asking price. I'm prepared for the ribbing over the velvet, I would expect nothing less. looking forward to comments on the car. Thanks again

OP
OP
K

kevinb

Scott-

Thanks for the reply and the link, very helpful. I'll be able to check it out tomorrow. What affect does having the orignal motor have on the value of the car? You hear about maching numbers a lot, but does it make a huge difference in people deciding to restore a car?

Thanks again

Scott

Personal preference about matching numbers being a big deal. More to do with the history of the car and the age of the engine that is in there, how many miles it has done etc.

The only effect of a matching numbers car on me is guilt when I blow it up!

rvrtrash

Jon-

I'm prepared for the ribbing over the velvet, I would expect nothing less.

I know how you feel. When I bought my Tiger it had faded red velour seats. They looked like they were made from a terry cloth bath robe. I was ashamed to drive it and putting in a new interior was the very first thing I did to it.

Steve

OP
OP
K

kevinb

Steve-

Thank you, that makes me feel better. It can always be worse. I sent pictures of the car to Jon and he provided some great insights, and now I just need to decide whether of not to buy the car. I need to make sure mechanically it is sound enough to drive on a regular basis.

Mosesatm

Hmmmm.....Tucson in the winter.

If you could house and feed them I'll be a few Northerners would be willing to help you get 'er roadworthy!:grin:

franklinair

I have the impression from previous posts that the body & structure elements are good. Based on that (if in fact correct), the price you mentioned seems MORE than fair. Good luck.

Neil