• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Real Deal?

Mosesatm

I think most of them want a deposit when you win the car. It would be interesting to know if some of them are phish scams. I suppose if you click on the auction to place a bid then sign into your eBay account they could get your eBay name and password.

BroadwayBlue

p51 said:
Question. How do you let ebay know about a potential fraud? Is there a link to send email somewhere???
Also, just one note of caution. I imagine a lot of these ads for these "too good to be true, I dont know what I got, but I spend $20K fixing it up but now gotta sell it for peanuts barn Shelbys" are from people trying either to get $ from you (how?) or, more likely, are phishing for personal info...

If you go to the HELP section there is a place to notify them of suspected fraudulent auctions.

BroadwayBlue

p51 said:
Here's another one that's "interesting". Registered '68 Shelby with a BIN of $8500. Hey, its a fastback convertible and its got driver and side airbags too... :grin:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-Ford-Mustang-SHELBY-GT5OO-4-SPD-MUSTANG-RESTORED_W0QQitemZ4643888194QQcategoryZ6236QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So far, no bids. Wonder why...

The BIN isn't really a BIN. It's just part of the description. Could just have been a clever rouge to get people to look at the auction. It's the person's first selling auction though.

Not only airbags it has a hidden sunroof plus power locks, power seats, it's 4-wheel drive ... and a convertible!! This is Super Car!!

OP
OP
case12

case12

BroadwayBlue said:
OK I was curious and poked around at that site.
It's a SCAM for sure.

The reason the links don't work is that the whole page is an image (gif file).
No matter where you click on the page you get the email. Try not clicking on a link but on any blank area or regular text.

It's actually a site call http://wsggj.com

Looks like they are grabbing pages from eBay and modifying them ... see below

http://wsggj.com/yyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.html

Rich - really good detective work. Now this is interesting and disturbing. This concerns me that someone can hijack ebay pages - ebay better get on this one soon or they will get people like me worried about using ebay as a security problem. If someone can hijack a page right on ebay, it wont take them long to figure out how to make fake links? Also, what do they get from having everything link to their email currently? I sent the email address some questions, but nothing back. Casey

CALIF GIRL

I sent an email asking to look at the car(the shelby) here is the response

Hi,
right now i am in Europe and the car is at eBay warehouse!
I can only shipp !
That is why i want to use eBay for making this deal!
If you are interested please email me!

armando4684@aim.com

Yeah Right...........

BroadwayBlue

What exactly is an eBay warehouse?

He also has an aim.com email which is free and difficult to trace. Not that in itself means anything, there are plenty of free emails that are good, I use them. Just add that to everything else and it's fishy.

Plus, the email that came up on the links was something different.

On Casey's email question. My guess is once they start communicating with you they workout some kind of scam deal to get your money from you.

I haven't figured out how they hijacked the site. If you clicked on the very edge of the page that displayed, there was a webpage behind it. Somehow they were able to get their picture to fill the whole screen over the other link.
The thing that is really bugging me is if you searched for that auction # it brought you to that page. The person who actually had the eBay id seemed legit so they were scammed in this process as well.
Maybe, that person answered one of the ebay scam emails and entered their ID so the scammers could grab it. The scammer then logged onto ebay and created an auction but set it so the picture would fill the whole screen.
That's one thing I thought of.

Buyer beware. I haven't had a problem with eBay or Paypal but be cautious they are targets for scamming so just take the extra step to be careful.
They seem to stand by their guarantees and all. I feel safer using Paypal then sending a check or money order to someone.

Just my 2+ cents :cool:

68gt390

case12 said:
Rich - really good detective work. Now this is interesting and disturbing. This concerns me that someone can hijack ebay pages - ebay better get on this one soon or they will get people like me worried about using ebay as a security problem. If someone can hijack a page right on ebay, it wont take them long to figure out how to make fake links? Also, what do they get from having everything link to their email currently? I sent the email address some questions, but nothing back. Casey

Casey;
The problem with these types of addresses that link back to an email address is that if you reply, they now have your IP address and can use it to send bulk spam etc. or even gain access to your computer from what my IT folks have told me in the past.

Don

OP
OP
case12

case12

Here is his response - interesting he offers an ebay escrow

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2006 9:49 AM
To: Hill Casey-CASE12
Subject: RE: mustang

Greetings and thank you for your email!

My late uncle who lived in Hawthorne, NY has left me a lot of things including this car.
The car is now in my possession, in Rome, Italy, where I live.
The title of the car is still on my uncle's name, it is clear and can be registered anywhere in US without a problem as I have all the papers signed by the attorney.
I tried to keep it here, but for some reason, they have a law that will not allow me to register cars from foreign countries unless I have to pay some registration fees that are very high and I cannot afford at the moment.
That's why I believe that this car belongs to US and to someone who will take care of it as my uncle did.
I'm hoping to get $5,800 US for it and the best way we can do this transaction through eBay's escrow service called Square Trade. I will not accept direct money transfers.
The car is in immaculate condition, absolutely no rust, scratches or any other kind of damage.
If you are decided that you want to buy this car, please email me your full name and shipping address as I need them to start the transaction with escrow.
I almost forgot to tell you that the car has an extra set of four tires and I will give them too. I'm not sure if they are new, but as I look at them, they are in very good condition.

Thank you and I will wait your email and I hope that this car will be on good hands if you will be the next owner!

My best wishes!

BroadwayBlue

That's funny he mentioned Hawthorne NY. That's about 30 minutes from me, I'm very familiar with the area and my sister works there.
I'd be curious to get more info from him about the car's whereabouts.
I'd also be interested to hear his response to why the ad is down.

Interesting response from him in any case.

The didn't car even have NY plates on it? And we know it was for sale in Washington and then it pointed to the Eleanor type clone.
Wonder what his next steps would be.

What Don said is true they could get your IP address from the email. That's a lot of effort just to get an address for spaming. There are plenty of other (easier) ways to do that.
Seems to much of an "out in the open" way to do it in my opinion.

BroadwayBlue

OK I did some more digging.

Square Trade looks like it's a scam itself.

I thought I had read somewhere before that www.escrow.com was the way to go. I looked it up on eBAy and that is the only escrow company they recommend. That is true of cars.com I believe too.

Do a search on the web and Square Trade scams are all over the place.

Square Trade is NOT an escrow company. Square Trade is an online dispute-resolution service that eBay uses.

Here is info from their website.
http://www.squaretrade.com/cnt/jsp/buyers.jsp;jsessionid=64z2508es3?vhostid=bliss&stmp=squaretrade&cntid=64z2508es3

Click on the Fraud Prevention tips.

Fraud Alert & Consumer Protection Tips
shim.gif
shim.gif

exclamation_redCircle.gif
shim.gif
FRAUD ALERT: There are currently various attempts to defraud consumers using SquareTrade and other trusted companies. Please read warnings below, verify suspicious claims and be careful when making purchases online.

SquareTrade will NOT email you to claim that the email you received from spoof@squaretrade.com was a mistake and insist that the seller is a Verified seal member while still asking you to send money via wire transfer. Fraudulent Sellers may be using legitimate Seal IDs to deceive you!

Beware of potential fake "spoof" emails that pretend to be an authentic email from SquareTrade or other trusted companies.

DO NOT SEND MONEY TO WESTERN UNION / MONEYGRAM / WIRE TRANSFER !!!

SquareTrade Never Takes Payment on Behalf of a Seller:
Scam emails will often request the consumer to pay via a money transfer service, such as Western Union or Money Gram, an escrow service, or by money order. BEWARE! SquareTrade will NEVER act as an escrow agent for a seller and will NEVER hold or transfer money on behalf of an auction or seller.

Claims of Large Insurance Backing Are Usually Fraudulent:
Scam emails often make false claims that the seller is backed by a large "protection account" or by 3rd party insurance or similar claims to make you feel safe. Verify such claims directly with 3rd parties.

Beware of Fake Websites:
Beware that scam artists often create fake websites to look exactly like trusted company websites that are linked to the scam emails. To help prevent being defrauded by such tricks, always directly type into your web browser the name of the business (e.g., www.squaretrade.com, www.ebay.com, www.paypal.com, www.amazon.com) when you are verifying information with a trusted website.

Verify Before You Pay:
If you have received one of these emails or are concerned about a seller, DO NOT pay until you have verified a seller's claims.
  1. If claims relate to SquareTrade, forward the email and questions to spoof@squaretrade.com, and wait until a SquareTrade representative contacts you.
  2. If the claims relate to a specific ecommerce website purchase, such as eBay, Amazon.com, Yahoo or craigslist.org, visit their website for further information and send suspicious emails or questions to their respective support teams (e.g., spoof@ebay.com, stop-spoofing@amazon.com, auctions-abuse@cc.yahoo-inc.com,abuse@craigslist.org). These companies might also have added buyer protection to cover some of your losses.
Use Secure Payment Methods:
We suggest NEVER using wire or money transfer methods, such as Western Union or MoneyGram, money orders or personal checks, when paying an unknown seller, as these forms of payment leave you with little or no recourse if the transaction is fraudulent. Credit cards generally offer the highest fraud protection for consumers. You should contact your credit card issuer for more information.

Use caution and common sense: "Too good to be true" deals are often fraudulent. Purchase responsibly and realize there are risks when buying online from unknown sellers.

OP
OP
case12

case12

I have to admit that the scammers are getting more clever with their tactics. The whole page overlay is scary. I always wondered if this could happen with Paypal. Lets say I win an auction for an ebay item, and then I am automatically directed to paypal (which I do all the time). What is to keep someone from selling something trivial on eBay, but using the winning bid email as a way to link to an overlay fake Paypal page and get my paypal password via a link. Hmmm - then they drain my account :icon_evil .

BTW, I used escrow.com to buy my GTCS. It works great. Buyer and Seller are protected. Casey