• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

recharging freon...

mbsf1970

Has anyone ever done this to their own (modern car)?

I have a 2001 Subaru that I bought to replace my sister's rusting car and the a/c needs recharging. It costs anywhere from $120-190 which seems pretty high. Looks like I could do it for about $50-75 myself.
Anyone ever do it and if yes, any tips of what to do or not to do??

Stephen

Ruppstang

If you do not have the gages I would just pay the $120-190 It may be cheaper in the end.

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

tx Marty....the recharge 134 freon cans appear to have built in gauges to indicate pressure.....anything else? like replace o rings at same time, lube o rings with what oil??!
Always questions....
Stephen

green56

Freon 134

Did you run out of freon if you did check your condenser it mabe has a leak if you run out then go to your fittings Is the unit a 12 freon unit or a 134 i hope you vac out the unit? Tom WI

OP
OP
M

mbsf1970

Tom,
I checked with several sources including the company that made 12a freon product that I used and they all said the same thing....I could go ahead and top up freon using 12a even though system has 134a in it. They are compatible. I didn't use the whole can so can only assume that system was simply running low....after 15 yrs it might be just that?
If a/c fails to be cool next summer when it is next used, I will suggest to my sister that she checks for leaks. Thanks for input. always appreciated!

Stephen