• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1968 Repairs

franklinair

Finally getting to the repairs after my little mishap a few months ago. Some idiot (me) did not torque the lug nuts on my new Shelby wheels. The wheel departed thru the rear of the fender, causing me to wake up immediately.
New Ford tooling fender, wheel, brake drum, fender molding, paint & striping.
Ron (clubpro) is helping me gather additional parts for some upgrades while I have the car down for maintenance. I'm going to add Deluxe interior, hood blackout stripes, o'head console, and MAYBE black vinyl top.
I've finished the '68 convert (that's another story), so now I can concentrate on my C/S.

Neil

Last edited:

hookedtrout

Good to see you are getting it headed back the right direction. Dang good thing it didn't cause a complete crash and injure you. I love how the damaged fender is being set on the carpet and treated with respect even though it probably has no value anymore, it's just hard to let go.

Cory

Mustanger

New Ford tooling fender, wheel, brake drum, fender molding, paint & striping.
Ron (clubpro) is helping me gather additional parts for some upgrades while I have the car down for maintenance. I'm going to add Deluxe interior, hood blackout stripes, o'head console, and MAYBE black vinyl top.
I've finished the '68 convert (that's another story), so now I can concentrate on my C/S.

Neil

Out of "bad" can come "good" ... I love it when we're blessed with opportunities for "improvements" and make our rides even better than before ... :thumb: coooool!!!

robert campbell

I resorted to running my 67 Fastback into my roll around tool box to redo hood with Boss 429 hood scoop!!! My wife sees through everything I do!!!

Rob

rvrtrash

That hurts just to look at! Glad it wasn't any worse though.

Steve

nfrntau

I kind of like that dropped in the weeds look. Can you pull that off without loosing a tire first?

Looks like you did a great job not losing control. It could have been a lot worse.

Midnight Special

...Yep, could've been alot worse indeed!
;-)

Attachments

• gtcscrash.jpg
    gtcscrash.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 63

Midnight Special

...Hopefully, someone here remembers the story. That pic was posted about four years ago and I can't remember precisely what it was. I found it (by accident(no pun)) while looking for another to help Neil not feel so bad.

Here - my friend who owns this 4000 hp. air racer wanted to retract his wing flaps while taxiing.... He pulled up on the landing gear lever instead!

Attachments

• gearupCM.jpg
    gearupCM.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Now I don't feel so bad.:eek:
If he needs some help - I know how to fix those too.

Neil

CougarCJ

You guys see the pictures of the C-17 that went down in Afghanistan a month ago? The pilot did not put down the landing gear.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Here's a strange twist. While replacing the left front fender that I crunched, I noticed that the VIN is not stamped on the left inner panel. It is stamped on the right inner panel. All VIN's match - right inner fender panel, engine block, C4 transmission, and of course the VIN tag on the dash. The left panel appears to be original. I thought ALL stampings were on the left panel.

Neil

CougarCJ

Here's a strange twist. While replacing the left front fender that I crunched, I noticed that the VIN is not stamped on the left inner panel. It is stamped on the right inner panel. All VIN's match - right inner fender panel, engine block, C4 transmission, and of course the VIN tag on the dash. The left panel appears to be original. I thought ALL stampings were on the left panel.

Neil

I thought that they were on the top of both fender aprons. Mine has both stampings.

OP
OP
franklinair

franklinair

Shelby wheels/lugs. I think I found the reason for the L.F wheel departure on my C/S. I was SURE I failed to torque the lugs, but today while installing the new wheel I noticed that the lug holes in the wheel hub are countersunk, and the lug nuts are tapered to that contour. If you don't carefully secure each lug nut, centering them into the countersink, the wheel will feel tight but IS NOT. After centering each lug nut, then the torqueing went OK. So to all (tworings) who use these wheels - be forwarned. I had to learn the hard way.

Neil