• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

1966-67 HCS Scheduled Build Date?

hicountrybob

Did all 333 1966 HCS's have a scheduled build date on the door tag of 15G?

Pete, you got it ie. all '66 HCS door tags have had (in my registry) a 15G scheduled build date which is July 15, San Jose plant only, BUT AS WE ALL KNOW, the actual day of manufacture can and may actually vary to ? days later or ? days earlier. I say that because if you note that Kevin Marti's reports show that the door tag dates, many, many times do not match the actual build date, according to his Ford records of '67 and later vehicles. Hope this addresses your inquiry. High Country Bob Teets here.

OP
OP
P

Pete Bush

Thanks for the reply, Bob. I assumed as much, but I wanted to verify it with you.

Let me explain my inquiry. I’ve undertaken a project where I’m attempting to decode 1966 build sheets. I’ve been chronicling my efforts on my blog.

Part of my current study is an understanding of Ford’s special order system - which results in a 6-digit DSO. The first two digits indicate the district sales office. And the last four represent a unique order number. Special order paint cars, exports, Shelby’s, and High Country Special all utilize these 6-digit codes. A 6-digit code is generated at the time of the sales order, and may represent a single vehicle, or group of vehicles on a single order. As new special orders are received from the same sales district the 6-digit DSO increases incrementally.

My study has lead me to Jim Smart’s Mustang Production Guide, as it lists many of these special order vehicles. Attached is a spreadsheet of 1966 San Jose special orders from the book. I’d like to draw your attention to DSO 510224. It says that this order number was used for part of the HCS order, for VIN # 6R08C232735 with a schedule build date of 15G – which you indicate is the common scheduled build date for all HCS’s. This order number may represent one car, or one of a group of cars from one of the participating dealers.

I’d like you to look a couple of lines up from that particular vehicle. You’ll see another entry for DSO 510224 on 10F, over a month prior to the rest of the order. It would be highly unusual that this particular order number was used for both HCS’s and non-HCS’s.

First, I wonder if you might verify that DSO 510224 is actually a valid HCS DSO. And second, if it is, can you explain why a vehicle built a month prior would share this same DSO?

Could Thurlo Newell have ordered an advance vehicle for promotional purposes? Part of the same order, but sent a month earlier than the other 333.

Attachments

• San Jose Special Orders.pdf
    481.2 KB · Views: 35