• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Sell my GT/CS to buy a 69 Mach?

rvrtrash

I sold a '72 Mach 1 many years ago that I "grew up in" and have regretted it ever since. Just find a way to keep your CS and get the car you want. It is OK to have more than one Mustang (at least I hope so or Tim and I are in trouble).

Steve

OP
OP
ahainline

ahainline

Lots of great responses and things to think about. I have come to tthe decision that the GT/CS isnt going anywhere. If I am going to make this work it will be by simply buying the Mach if the price is right. I still need to go see the car and inspect it so no decisions have been made yet regarding the Mach.

A lot of what you guys touched on really hit home. My father and uncles have all regretted selling their first mustang and I think I would feel the same way if I went that route. So with that said I think this one is here to stay for quite some time. I think these cars are more of a passion that most other outside of our group wouldnt understand.

I will keep you guys updated on what I decide to do with the Mach.. I think it would be more of a project than my GT/CS which is kind of what I like about the car and it could be more of a driver than my 68. I really like the looks of the 69 and if everything goes right then it will all work itself out :). Now I just have to convince the girl that it is a smart purchase lol.

rvrtrash

Now I just have to convince the girl that it is a smart purchase lol.

I hate to say it, but if you don't have a girl that can accept your love of cars, you're in for trouble right from the start.

Steve (not an expert on relationships by any means--but I know what DIDN'T work)

OP
OP
ahainline

ahainline

I hate to say it, but if you don't have a girl that can accept your love of cars, you're in for trouble right from the start.

Steve (not an expert on relationships by any means--but I know what DIDN'T work)

lol nahhh, she is actually REALLY understanding... not so much when it comes to my love of motorcycles though. Something about "All you gonna do is die blah blah blah..." thats all I heard anyway. She is just really set on buying a house soon and a car might not be the smartest buy right now.

I actually talked to her about the car last night and she said that if it was as nice as I described then it would be a good buy. :grin:
It will be a couple weeks before I can go check it out though. Hopefully it wont be gone by then.

Highlander

Although I'm no expert, I'm not convinced that is an "original" rear wing. It appears to be sagging. Does the seller have a Marty report? Check around the bottom corners of the rear window for rust. Also the quarters in front of the rear axle, and the trunk lids are prone to rust. Good luck with your decision.

DeadStang

Although I'm no expert, I'm not convinced that is an "original" rear wing. It appears to be sagging. Does the seller have a Marty report? Check around the bottom corners of the rear window for rust. Also the quarters in front of the rear axle, and the trunk lids are prone to rust. Good luck with your decision.

1969 original rear wings sag in the middle. The problem of too weak material for horizontal rigidity was corrected with the 1970 wings.

robert campbell

I sold a 68 Shelby GT-500 KR to put a down payment on my first house in 1976. Wish I could turn back time.... sold it for $4k.

IMO keep the GT/CS. Make it better and better. Modify it. Put a 5 speed in it. Save the original pieces if you must (not a big deal to me). Have you seen David's car or Joe's?? Now that kind of power is exciting in a Nash or Studebaker!!!

Make it yours, make it fast. You know what you have now and there will always be a deal in the future when you are better situated dollar wise.

Soon you will be a like Steve. Rows or garages and a Mustang of every year and model.....

And keep any wife that loves cars!!! They are very rare. Mine can bang the gears a fast as any guy. And she loves stompin the Chevy's!!!

Rob

Midnight Special

I sold a 68 Shelby GT-500 KR to put a down payment on my first house in 1976. Wish I could turn back time.... sold it for $4k.

IMO keep the GT/CS. Make it better and better. Modify it. Put a 5 speed in it.....Have you seen David's car or Joe's?? Now that kind of power is exciting in a Nash or Studebaker!!!

Make it yours, make it fast. You know what you have now and there will always be a deal in the future when you are better situated dollar wise.

Soon you will be a like Steve. Rows or garages and a Mustang of every year and model.....

And keep any wife that loves cars!!! They are very rare. Mine can bang the gears a fast as any guy. And she loves stompin the Chevy's!!!

Rob

Aaarrrrg Aaarrrrg Aaaaaaaarrrrg!

"Campbell's Corner" was brought to you by BINFORD Tools

;-))

OP
OP
ahainline

ahainline

Owner does have a Marti Report. Going to look at the car in a couple weeks to throughly inspect. I suspect there is some rust that he isnt telling me about but we will see.

Midnight Special

...Tony, the latest edition of "Mustang Milestones" features a '69 Mach I spotter's guide as well as a complete "walk around" w/ photos.

There were still plenty of them at news stands this a.m. ...

Mustanger

1969 original rear wings sag in the middle. The problem of too weak material for horizontal rigidity was corrected with the 1970 wings.

Yeah, in '69, the rear wings were plastic and the front air dams were fiberglass ... in '70 Ford learned their lesson (i.e., sagging wings, cracked front spoilers) and made the rear wings fiberglass and the front air dams plastic ... :wink: ...

OP
OP
ahainline

ahainline

...Tony, the latest edition of "Mustang Milestones" features a '69 Mach I spotter's guide as well as a complete "walk around" w/ photos.

There were still plenty of them at news stands this a.m. ...

Do you know if Barnes and Noble or Borders carry this magazine?? Dont know of any other newstand to look for it.

Midnight Special

Do you know if Barnes and Noble or Borders carry this magazine?? Dont know of any other newstand to look for it.

I'm sure they do, but if not; PM me your address & I will send you mine. Otherwise - we may have to wait 10 years or so for Arlie to scan & post it ;-))

I found mine at a mini-mart and have seen them in grocery store mag racks...

OP
OP
ahainline

ahainline

Thanks Tim! I will look around to see what I can find before I request your services ;)

Midnight Special

Thanks Tim! I will look around to see what I can find before I request your services ;)

...Roger that Tony! Below is the one my son & I are working on. 221K hard miles... We're basically going to "jack up the radiator cap and install a new car underneath" ;-))

Attachments

• yelw.jpg
    yelw.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
ahainline

ahainline

...Roger that Tony! Below is the one my son & I are working on. 221K hard miles... We're basically going to "jack up the radiator cap and install a new car underneath" ;-))

lol I hear ya on that one. I wish my Dad and I lived closer so that we could share those moments again..he would probably disagree though lol. He worked as a mechanic for a quite some time and just doesnt enjoy it as much as he used to. Tries to say he is getting too old to do that kind of stuff, the man is only 44! Maybe some of these muscle cars I have been buying from back in his era will revive him :icon_ecst lol.

Mosesatm

lol I hear ya on that one. I wish my Dad and I lived closer so that we could share those moments again..he would probably disagree though lol. He worked as a mechanic for a quite some time and just doesnt enjoy it as much as he used to. Tries to say he is getting too old to do that kind of stuff, the man is only 44! Maybe some of these muscle cars I have been buying from back in his era will revive him :icon_ecst lol.

Have your dad hang out on this site for a few weeks. That should do it!

Midnight Special

Tell your dad that there is no way he's too old. Tim is waaaaaayyyyyy older tha 44 and look at what he's doing. :wink:

...Oh, but I have a willing 15 yr. old who's looking to drive in another year. I have complete power for now! I'm going to set up an umbrella table, easy chair and use the light stand plug-in to power my blender for making fruity drinks... A old retractable antenna will make the perfect pointer - calling the shots from a velvet creeper that'll double as a sleeper...

Age does have it's benefits! 'Gotta take full advantage while I can until my son goes off to Southern Cal and goes big time! ...leaving his dad behind to shovel all the snow......JOE!!!

;-))

Attachments

• IM001388.JPG
    IM001388.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: