• Welcome to the CaliforniaSpecial.com forums! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all our site features, please take a moment to join our community! It's fast, simple and absolutely free.

If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please Note: If you are an existing member and your password no longer works, click here to reset it.

Shelby de Mexico

di81977

I brought my HCS to a car show in Littleton, Colorado this weekend. Huge show, approx 700 cars. I saw 2 "real" 68 CS's and 2 "CS recreations - a fastback and a convertible with a 428" along with approx 5 new CS's.

I was sitting by my car and a guy comes up to me to chat. He was very familiar with the CS/HCS's. We started talking about Shelby's and he brought up Shelby de Mexico.

I had never heard of these cars and using the search function for this site, did not find much previous discussion. Searching the internet, I found out more.

http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/~mexmust/articles/i910252.htm

The article talks about how the prototype was build along side Little Red at Shelby America, in Los Angeles.

Given the fact that these cars were based upon the coupe (only style build in Mexico at the time), I am surprised that this has not been talked about as much as the EXP500or Little Red.

Anyone have more history on the relationship between these cars and ours? Was this talked about in any of Paul's previous books?

david

P

PNewitt

I have plans to talk about the '67 Shelby de Mexico in the new book.

Look at that photo--the high beams are center-mounted. Little Red's are outboard. That could help time when this happen (or Mexico didn't care about the center-mounted high beams).

The '67 street cars included something similar to a GT/CS. I didn't hear from Fred much if anything about the Mexican Shelbys. I'll have to talk to Bob McClurg about these cars in detail.

Thanks for finding this--cool stuff!

-Paul

P

PNewitt

Looking at that B&W photo of "Little Red's" sister car, I wonder if it is the one painted Ferrari Red, and that Little Red was painted CandyApple Red. There has been some confusion about which color Little Red was.

Unless some Ferrari expert here corrects me, I was told by a high-end restorer that in 1968, there were only two Ferrari red colors. Street, and for Racing.

At a local car show, I photographed some 1968-era Ferraris, and will do a red color to black and white test, to see how dark certain shades of red turn grey, to black. It's a judgement call--not 100% science, but think of it as "Little Red :CSI". (LOL!)

The Mexican car is a GT-350. I wonder if it had a Paxton on it?

Paul N.

J_Speegle

A few friends have had these and I saw a 65-66 Mexican Mustang at this years Erie show. Always interesting. When you look at the 69's the allot of the "hidden" panels are similar to US production only slightly different curves

The same people produced Shelby Mavericks and Galaxies (mostly a couple emblems and dished aluminum wheels)

How does SAAC look at these. Well it seems as just part of the related history much like the European ones that were assemblied in 71 from what I see

P

PNewitt

Yes, the 1971 Shelby Europa was a cool looking car.

Is there anyone in SAAC, or otherwise--an expert on the 1967-68 Shelby De Mexicos? (Besides Bob McClurg?) (not to exclude him).

Paul N.

J_Speegle

PNewitt said:
Yes, the 1971 Shelby Europa was a cool looking car.

Is there anyone in SAAC, or otherwise--an expert on the 1967-68 Shelby De Mexicos? (Besides Bob McClurg?) (not to exclude him).

Paul N.

Paul ... haven't heard of anyone. And though I've seem a number of the 69's up close I've never seen a 67-68. Normally owners of odd cars become the first experts out of need.

P

PNewitt

J_Speegle said:
Normally owners of odd cars become the first experts out of need.

Yeah, I know what THAT's like! LOL. been there, done that. (you, too with the Fiberfab Mustangs).

I got some things to run by you ASAP--and ask you about how to get MCA Approval for my book.

And! In an unrelated note, I've recently come across some compelling evidence that Little Red WAS painted Ferrari Red. More on that later.

Paul N.